When to start heaters and heat lamps??

MCreery

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Dallas GA
Good morning, our temperatures have dropped quite a bit this last week, from 70s at night to 50-55 for the next few forecasted weeks. Highs around 70 each day. I know they don't need it now but at what point should I start winterizing their coop/yard. I have 6 (1 roo and 5 hens that are 7 months old), then have a second coop in the works for 3 silkies arriving in November. Just curious on the temperatures to start adding heat. Thanks

I was so with you when I started chickens 15 years ago. I was making the mistake of worrying about keeping chickens warm. Since childhood we have been taught, close the door, trap the heat in.

And that is the wrong worry. Do not worry about keeping them warm, worry about keeping them DRY. Dry chickens are warm chickens.

To keep them dry, and thereby keeping them warm, you need to have deep dry bedding on the floor. You need to either remove dropping by using a poop board, or sprinkle the bedding with scratch once a week so the birds turn the bedding and break up the manure, drying it out.

You need to look at the position of the roosts. They should be placed so that birds have about 15 inches ABOVE their heads, away from the ceiling. And placed so that a bird is not right next to the wall. If too close to the ceiling or wall, their breath will collect on the wall or ceiling and rain down on them.

You need a lot of ventilation above their heads. You want the warm moist air to leave the coop, warm air naturally rises and will escape and not collect on the birds. The coop should act as a wind break, not a warm spot. A place to get out of the wind, that is dry is warm for chickens.

I also set up a wind break in the coop, a place to get out of the wind. I do hook some shower doors to it, so they have a little sun porch. But it is open on both sides.

I live in western SD, and we are frequently below 0, often -10 to -20, and a couple of years ago, -35 which is very, very cold. Healthy, well fed birds, came through that just fine.

The chance of fire is real, beware.

Mrs K

There are a ton of factors that come into play.
Where in the world are you located?
Size of coop?
Breeds of birds?

My thoughts on adding heat....
Properly acclimated birds grow extra feathers to accommodate the cold. They don't need heat as their feathers trap their body heat to keep them warm. Adding heat discourages the feather growth and if power goes out or the heat source fails they are hit hard by it since they aren't prepared.
A properly ventilated coop means air exchange which makes heating virtually moot.

Then there is the risk of burns and fires.
Totally not worth the risk.

The only places people actually NEED to add heat are those living in the extreme climates where temps go WAY below zero and stay there.

This is my first winter...we got them March 1 and it was cold but they were inside my "shed" in a brooder for 6 weeks and had a heat lamp for first 3 weeks. Then only had it on at night for 2 more weeks. By the time they were 5 weeks I didn't have any heat on them. But they huddled up as babies right right under it. It hasn't been cold since April so haven't used anything. I did by one of those heaters that can go in the coop. I only put heat lamps in areas where it safe. But If I was in NY I know I would use a lot of covered protection and heaters at night in the coop. I'm also going to use additional coverings, tarps and plywood to block off more of their yard from cold. Then they can use their own body heat but not be fully exposed to the potential cold. I'm sure others will have better advise.

I'm north of you, in Ontario, and let me confirm what others are saying... you do NOT need a heat source if your coop is draft proof and dry. Temps regularly get to -20c/-4f here and as long as your not keeping unfeathered chicks, they're fine. The heater is more necessary for your comfort, not your chickens survival. As long as they are properly fed, they'll do fine.

Clarification: I have 7 chicks that are 7 weeks old and fully feathered. They have been in their outdoor run for 1 week. It's a large under-deck run, with water-tight roofing and lattice over 1/4 inch hardware cloth for draft protection. The coop is a pre-fab boxed one from Tractor Supply. I converted it slightly (removed nesting boxes & replaced with an additional roost) to provide more space. I will be insulating the enclosed roosting area w/ reflective mylar when the weather gets colder and will also add some tarp to the north facing wall of the run. I have a dryer vent that adds warmth, too. I sometimes run it in the early AM just to warm things up a bit. So is this enough to get my girls (and 1 boy) through the winter, or should I add a coop heater for below zero temps?

Tarp run....yes but do leave room for air to exit up top.
Dryer vent....NO that adds a ton of moisture which greatly contributes to frostbite.
Insulation...no they like to eat it and shiny is the most attractive.
Heater...not in that tiny of a coop. Not enough room for those needing away from it to get away from it. This leads to overheating and possible death.

I recall a few years ago someone heating a small coop and the sleeping birds could not move away from it. They were badly burned.
Small coops and heat lamps=fire. Every year we see posts of coops, barns, houses being burned down because of heat lamps. Not kidding one little bit there.

The prefab coops rarely if ever have enough ventilation. Please post pics of your set up so we can assist.

To start with some photos to maybe help you adjust your thinking about chickens and cold. I took the first photo when it was +4 Fahrenheit (-16 C). I left the pop door open and let them decide if they wanted to come out. Since a cold wind was not blowing they came out to enjoy the day. If a cold wind were blowing they would have been somewhere sheltered.

Ice.jpg

My chickens hate waking up in a white world, they just don't like the change. It's not the snow that bothers them, just that it is different. It typically takes them two or three days to venture outside if it snowed overnight. But this snow fell during the day when they were already out. The change was gradual enough they just stayed out.

Snow Feb 2013.JPG

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's F (about -4 C) with no supplemental heat. My brooder is in the coop, I kept one end toasty but the far end sometimes had frost in it. Those chicks were acclimated. The coop they were in had great breeze protection down where they were but tremendous ventilation up high. I do consider ventilation, breeze protection, and acclimating important.

My brooder-raised chicks tend to start roosting at night when they are around 10 to 12 weeks old. I've had some start at 5 weeks but that is unusual. I've had some start a lot later, each brood is unique. But 10 to 12 weeks is pretty common. I think the way my coop is laid out might affect that. Until they start sleeping on the roosts they tend to sleep in a group on the coop floor. Not because they are cold but because they like the company. They tend to sleep in the vicinity of the heat lamp but I wonder if that is more because they are used to sleeping there when they did need heat.

Your goal is not to keep them warm. Your goal is to let them keep themselves warm. You do that by keeping them dry (which means good ventilation) and keeping wind off of them. I'll link an article by someone that lives where it really does get cold. They seem to think that -20 F (-29 C) is when they tend to see a difference.

Alaskan’s Article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

To start with some photos to maybe help you adjust your thinking about chickens and cold. I took the first photo when it was +4 Fahrenheit (-16 C). I left the pop door open and let them decide if they wanted to come out. Since a cold wind was not blowing they came out to enjoy the day. If a cold wind were blowing they would have been somewhere sheltered.

View attachment 2341684

My chickens hate waking up in a white world, they just don't like the change. It's not the snow that bothers them, just that it is different. It typically takes them two or three days to venture outside if it snowed overnight. But this snow fell during the day when they were already out. The change was gradual enough they just stayed out.

View attachment 2341685

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's F (about -4 C) with no supplemental heat. My brooder is in the coop, I kept one end toasty but the far end sometimes had frost in it. Those chicks were acclimated. The coop they were in had great breeze protection down where they were but tremendous ventilation up high. I do consider ventilation, breeze protection, and acclimating important.

My brooder-raised chicks tend to start roosting at night when they are around 10 to 12 weeks old. I've had some start at 5 weeks but that is unusual. I've had some start a lot later, each brood is unique. But 10 to 12 weeks is pretty common. I think the way my coop is laid out might affect that. Until they start sleeping on the roosts they tend to sleep in a group on the coop floor. Not because they are cold but because they like the company. They tend to sleep in the vicinity of the heat lamp but I wonder if that is more because they are used to sleeping there when they did need heat.

Your goal is not to keep them warm. Your goal is to let them keep themselves warm. You do that by keeping them dry (which means good ventilation) and keeping wind off of them. I'll link an article by someone that lives where it really does get cold. They seem to think that -20 F (-29 C) is when they tend to see a difference.

Alaskan’s Article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Thanks for the reply and pics! Okay, I'm going to relax and let let my babies acclimate with no assistance. I'm a kindergarten teacher and I deal with parents like me all the time... time to love them and let them grow!

Don't. Just insulate the coop, heaters and lamps are terrible in coops, they do not help make them cold hardy, they are at risk of fire, and the lamps a mess up production making them think it warmer so its better time to lay when in the cold it's a bit unnatural to force it especially because it can cause more strain on the body. My best advice is to feed them a lot of corn or insulate the coop. Chickens are also generally cold tolerant, we have gown down in minus 37 F with some of our least cold-hardy birds and they still do fine. Generally, with a dry draft-free coop, there is no need for heat or light. Plus the heaters may cause humidity and the liquid may be prone to growing diseases. I agree with the other commenter, don't worry about keeping them warm, keeping them dry is the most important part. I mean, look at the Justin Rhode's their birds barely suffer frostbite in a dry, but fully wired tractor coop!

They are in Georgia. No need to insulate, feed extra corn or heat the coop.

Insulation gives rodents, mites and other undesirable pests a great place to take up residence.

I heat and air condition avidly,for many years.They lay many more eggs and do not get sick.Power has gone out,been fine.In summer air is on but some open air let in as well.
Winter fully closed,heavily insulated ,styrofoam ,completely enclosed.on roof sides.You don't want them to eat any.I use 2 cozy heaters in each smal, coop.i have 3 . They also keep humidity very low.mine are swept cleaned daily so no wet bedding anyway.
I turn heat on when coop is in low 40s,but just one unit on low.I check temperature through a window,I use 2 thermometers for safety,not over 82 in summer,and not under 40 are my perimeters.Heaters work to below zero,with no wind.15 degrees very windy.If it is 30-41 below zero,which I get,they come in an indoor back room.I am in NW Il.Many people I know have hens covered with black feet,and damage on head,from frostbite,in spring,bragging they have tough chickens.
Right...
I love all my animals,my chickens lives matter.Theyre comfort and happiness matter.They work hard laying eggs.I return the favor.I don't eat them.Hope they have longevity,as well.
I am in charge of the little world they have.I am they're forever home .

I bet they aren't comfortable. Too hot. Chickens run a temperature of 106F. Would you like to be cooped up with a wool sweater and heavy winter coat. Chickens are similar to double coated dogs. They have a downy undercoat and then their feathers. Reach under a wing and see how warm it is in there. They snuggle up and pouf out their feathers to keep warm. Put your hand under them when they are in the nest box. Warm to hot under there so they can hatch eggs and keep their babies warm. Can you please add your state in your profile then it will show up every time you post. State is ok so we can help you. The reason your other chicken "friends" are having trouble is they probably don't have their coop properly vented. Moist air is what causes frostbite. Wash you hands but dry only one hand. Go out in the cold and see how that wet hand gets cold very quickly.

You do know some breeds of chickens have black feet probably born that way or just dirty. How to you think wild birds survive in the winter or summer for that matter. Robins, chickadees, blue jays, crows, etc. As you can see I live in Maine. My coop is not insulated nor heated, no light except when they stay inside in the winter because of snow or wind.

Well vented. I have white leg horns their combs are huge and so are some's wattles. No frostbite last winter. They either put their heads under a wing or under another bird. But my coop is DRY. Dry birds are happy birds.

Back
Top Bottom