When to start heaters and heat lamps??

I heat and air condition avidly,for many years.They lay many more eggs and do not get sick.Power has gone out,been fine.In summer air is on but some open air let in as well.
Winter fully closed,heavily insulated ,styrofoam ,completely enclosed.on roof sides.You don't want them to eat any.I use 2 cozy heaters in each smal, coop.i have 3 . They also keep humidity very low.mine are swept cleaned daily so no wet bedding anyway.
I turn heat on when coop is in low 40s,but just one unit on low.I check temperature through a window,I use 2 thermometers for safety,not over 82 in summer,and not under 40 are my perimeters.Heaters work to below zero,with no wind.15 degrees very windy.If it is 30-41 below zero,which I get,they come in an indoor back room.I am in NW Il.Many people I know have hens covered with black feet,and damage on head,from frostbite,in spring,bragging they have tough chickens.
Right...
I love all my animals,my chickens lives matter.Theyre comfort and happiness matter.They work hard laying eggs.I return the favor.I don't eat them.Hope they have longevity,as well.
I am in charge of the little world they have.I am they're forever home .

It is hard for some to truly believe they dont need the heat, I know! 2 winters ago, we had a week and a half of negative teens.... DH wanted to turn heat on, (we had one girl who was looking peaked, and he was worried). Ok, even I felt bad, so a lamp was turned on over the roost. They would roost away from it. It made little to no difference tempature wise in a coop as large as ours. Where would they spend their days? In front of the large open windows lounging on straw bales, not a care in the world. They really dont need heat. We left the lamp, because he said, ya never know... never turned it on again.

Gas or electric dryer?

I don't think it's going to hurt to vent it outside, with as large and open as your run is.

Electric, so no worries there. That would make my life easier to just keep it as is. I put a screen on the vent to prevent any lint from escaping into the coop & I can adjust my wash days if the weather gets too cold or windy.

Electric, so no worries there. That would make my life easier to just keep it as is. I put a screen on the vent to prevent any lint from escaping into the coop & I can adjust my wash days if the weather gets too cold or windy.
I'd just run it as is...and observe.
Don't cover the vent, your dryer lint trap(if cleared every cycle) should catch it all.
Cold or wind shouldn't make any difference.
Some folks vent an electric dryer into the house in the winter to 'save' the heat and humidity.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600687450204.png

Back
Top Bottom