When to start heaters and heat lamps??

I have 7 chicks that are 7 weeks old and fully feathered....should I add a coop heater for below zero temps?

One thing to remember when you have chicks at the start of winter: they will be much older and bigger later.

7 week chicks in below zero temps? Might need some heat. But this is still September. By the end of November, those chicks will be more like 15 weeks old, which is almost fully grown. 15 week chicks in below zero temps? Should be fine. And if your really cold weather doesn't happen until January, you will have "chicks" over 20 weeks old, and may even be getting some eggs.

Thanks. I'm in Rochester, NY. We typically get a light snow in late Oct, but not much snow or very cold temps until late Nov/early Dec. I left them on their own last night, adding more bedding & removing the extra roost against the rear wall they were all cramming together behind. They seemed much happier huddling together on the floor now that there is more room for that. They also put themselves to bed for the first time:)!

We live in Minnesota and never put heat in our chicken coop in the winter. They need to grow extra feathers to keep warm, which they wouldn’t do if they had constant heat. If our electricity were to go out it could be fatal for our chickens, or at the very least they would suffer considerably.

On the coldest of days we leave them closed up in their coop and give them treats such as warm oatmeal and extra protein.

I heat and air condition avidly,for many years.They lay many more eggs and do not get sick.Power has gone out,been fine.In summer air is on but some open air let in as well.
Winter fully closed,heavily insulated ,styrofoam ,completely enclosed.on roof sides.You don't want them to eat any.I use 2 cozy heaters in each smal, coop.i have 3 . They also keep humidity very low.mine are swept cleaned daily so no wet bedding anyway.
I turn heat on when coop is in low 40s,but just one unit on low.I check temperature through a window,I use 2 thermometers for safety,not over 82 in summer,and not under 40 are my perimeters.Heaters work to below zero,with no wind.15 degrees very windy.If it is 30-41 below zero,which I get,they come in an indoor back room.I am in NW Il.Many people I know have hens covered with black feet,and damage on head,from frostbite,in spring,bragging they have tough chickens.
Right...
I love all my animals,my chickens lives matter.Theyre comfort and happiness matter.They work hard laying eggs.I return the favor.I don't eat them.Hope they have longevity,as well.
I am in charge of the little world they have.I am they're forever home .

It is hard for some to truly believe they dont need the heat, I know! 2 winters ago, we had a week and a half of negative teens.... DH wanted to turn heat on, (we had one girl who was looking peaked, and he was worried). Ok, even I felt bad, so a lamp was turned on over the roost. They would roost away from it. It made little to no difference tempature wise in a coop as large as ours. Where would they spend their days? In front of the large open windows lounging on straw bales, not a care in the world. They really dont need heat. We left the lamp, because he said, ya never know... never turned it on again.

It is hard for some to truly believe they dont need the heat, I know! 2 winters ago, we had a week and a half of negative teens.... DH wanted to turn heat on, (we had one girl who was looking peaked, and he was worried). Ok, even I felt bad, so a lamp was turned on over the roost. They would roost away from it. It made little to no difference tempature wise in a coop as large as ours. Where would they spend their days? In front of the large open windows lounging on straw bales, not a care in the world. They really dont need heat. We left the lamp, because he said, ya never know... never turned it on again.
In my over half century of having chickens, I have found them to be marvelously resilient creatures. Beginning with my Grandpa Shook's bantam/game mixes roosting in trees even during the coldest/snowy winter weather on top of Beech Mountain, NC to my current flocks. With my last three broods, the chicks were moved outside to their coops at three weeks and they flourished even with a temperature range from the mid 40's to 90 degrees Fahrenheit their first few days. This without any supplemental heat being provided. In all three instances, the chickens matured quicker and have been very healthy.

In my over half century of having chickens, I have found them to be marvelously resilient creatures. Beginning with my Grandpa Shook's bantam/game mixes roosting in trees even during the coldest/snowy winter weather on top of Beech Mountain, NC to my current flocks. With my last three broods, the chicks were moved outside to their coops at three weeks and they flourished even with a temperature range from the mid 40's to 90 degrees Fahrenheit their first few days. This without any supplemental heat being provided. In all three instances, the chickens matured quicker and have been very healthy.
Absolutely! Send mine to the coop at 2 weeks. Start integrating at 4. They go with their broader plate, but mostly use that at night. Temps are usually in 30s to 40s. They do just fine!

I don't know how hardy silkies are, but fully feathered chickens of other breeds can do well in open air coops without supplemental heat in the winter. Ventilation is the key--don't have them closed up so tight that condensation forms inside the coop and on their combs.

I heat and air condition avidly,for many years.They lay many more eggs and do not get sick.Power has gone out,been fine.In summer air is on but some open air let in as well.
Winter fully closed,heavily insulated ,styrofoam ,completely enclosed.on roof sides.You don't want them to eat any.I use 2 cozy heaters in each smal, coop.i have 3 . They also keep humidity very low.mine are swept cleaned daily so no wet bedding anyway.
I turn heat on when coop is in low 40s,but just one unit on low.I check temperature through a window,I use 2 thermometers for safety,not over 82 in summer,and not under 40 are my perimeters.Heaters work to below zero,with no wind.15 degrees very windy.If it is 30-41 below zero,which I get,they come in an indoor back room.I am in NW Il.Many people I know have hens covered with black feet,and damage on head,from frostbite,in spring,bragging they have tough chickens.
Right...
I love all my animals,my chickens lives matter.Theyre comfort and happiness matter.They work hard laying eggs.I return the favor.I don't eat them.Hope they have longevity,as well.
I am in charge of the little world they have.I am they're forever home .

I bet they aren't comfortable. Too hot. Chickens run a temperature of 106F. Would you like to be cooped up with a wool sweater and heavy winter coat. Chickens are similar to double coated dogs. They have a downy undercoat and then their feathers. Reach under a wing and see how warm it is in there. They snuggle up and pouf out their feathers to keep warm. Put your hand under them when they are in the nest box. Warm to hot under there so they can hatch eggs and keep their babies warm. Can you please add your state in your profile then it will show up every time you post. State is ok so we can help you. The reason your other chicken "friends" are having trouble is they probably don't have their coop properly vented. Moist air is what causes frostbite. Wash you hands but dry only one hand. Go out in the cold and see how that wet hand gets cold very quickly.

You do know some breeds of chickens have black feet probably born that way or just dirty. How to you think wild birds survive in the winter or summer for that matter. Robins, chickadees, blue jays, crows, etc. As you can see I live in Maine. My coop is not insulated nor heated, no light except when they stay inside in the winter because of snow or wind.

Well vented. I have white leg horns their combs are huge and so are some's wattles. No frostbite last winter. They either put their heads under a wing or under another bird. But my coop is DRY. Dry birds are happy birds.

Back
Top Bottom