when to start layer food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 22, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    my pullets are 18-25 weeks not laying should I be feeding layer or starter to them?

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    With the chance of getting yelled at. I will tell you what I do and it works best for me.
    I feed 24% flock raiser and greens along with scratch and/or wild bird seed for treats till they lay their first egg.
    Then I change them to layer after the first egg. My hens lay better and all the ones I have started like this (knock on wood) have not laid a soft shell egg, are healthier then the others I did not start that way. They are also fuller in body and lay better eggs (size and shape)

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    They are old enough to put on layer now. If you still have a bunch of starter food you can still feed that until it is gone. If they start laying while on starter just put out oyster shell for the additional calcium. Just want to make sure you are not still feeding medicated starter?

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    they can start on layer before they start laying right?

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Flock Raiser with a side dish of oyster shell...mine do not like Layena pellets, they kick them out.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Definitely Layer between the two. I use Laying Pellets, they just kick the crumble around and I find that I end up going through twice as much of it. Also the Flock raiser/greens combo is an excellent choice also.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by