when to start turning eggs

dancingbear

Songster
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
South Central KY
I've always started turning right away, when I set eggs in the bato, but awhile back I read something about not turning them until they've been in the bator 2 or 3 days. Due to the fragility of the new embryo.

Anybody know something about this?

I've never heard of that. I've always started turning them a few hours after I've started incubating them. I might try it though...

I found it, in one of the "Chicken Keeping Secrets" newsletter. Here's a pasted copy of the part about when to start turning eggs:
"If you set the eggs in the morning, count this as day 1, if you
set the eggs late in the day or in the evening, count this as day
0 and tomorrow as day 1.

In either case, once you have set the eggs, do not touch them for
the first day.

The developing chicks are most delicate at the beginning and the
end of the incubation period.

Beginning on day 2, you must turn the eggs 3 to 5 times each day.
Try to keep regular, frequent intervals. Turn the eggs either ¼
or ½ way round each time."

I don't know how accurate this is, so I'm hoping there will be some folks here who've tried this method. I have a bunch of beautiful shipped Delaware eggs I'm about to set, I really want to be careful with them.

I've had good and bad hatches in the past, I'm trying to make sure this one's good!

There are many kinds of different ways to incubate that some people promise to work, but it may only work for them.
I would think that turning them from day 1 is fine, especially if you have a auto turner. Think of how much a hen must jostle her eggs around, and they still hatch chicks.
I think it's a interesting theory, but you should probably stick to what you are used to, and what is sucessful. I wouln't try a new method with special eggs.
I have read about studies where a guy only turned the eggs for the first 2 weeks then stopped, and he still got a decent hatch. I think if there were better ways to hatch, that major hatcheries would do the same.
Just my thoughts
smile.png

Maybe someones else can shed more light on the subject...?

I have had many hens hatch many eggs for me.. I am here to tell you I have no clue to how many times they turn each egg per day.. I cannot swear to you that they even DO turn the eggs..

as far as that guy who turned his eggs for only the first two weeks..
I have often thought of trying just that myself.. once the embryo starts to move on it's own,what would be the reason to turn the egg anymore??

I think the thread about not turning the eggs on day 1 was about hand turning eggs.. I have read such advice in a book somewhere a long time ago.. I don't see how it would be detrimental to the egg.. the yolk is not going to rush to the side of the shell and get stuck there in that short of time.. come on,,,

Quote:
I agree with this post!
thumbsup.gif

makes alot of sense to me. it is always a good idea to think about how a hen does it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking, too. I just wanted a consensus about the idea.

I'm sure when my broodies move around, those eggs get jostled a lot. And, I know for sure that the underside of a hen is not a sterile environment. So I wash my hands before I handle hatching eggs, and clean and disinfect the 'bator between hatches, but I don't obsess about sterility. I figure clean is close enough.

Thanks for the input, everybody!

Back
Top Bottom