when to switch feed

welcome-byc.gif
I believe we started ours on grow mash at 12 weeks. It's been awhile.....

You're welcome and welcome to BYC!
If you are raising egg layers you'll want to keep them on grower until around 18 to 20 weeks or until you get your first egg; whichever comes first.

I am in the shape godfather. My chicks will be 8 weeks old Monday. I have been feeding them medicated chick starter since I have had them. If I remember right the tag on the feed bag says to feed them this from a day old to four months old. Does this sound right to anyone? It is kinds confusing to me. Do you feed them grower till they lay the first egg and then switch over to layer pellets? What about a rooster would it be safe for him to eat layer pellets or should you feed something else.My only concern for feeding medicated feed is will it have any affect on eggs.

Hi,

Since I have new chicks, I read the instructions on my feed bag today. This is what it said:

Feed medicated chick starter for 8 weeks. Then chick grower (not medicated) until the age of 20 weeks. Then layer feed.

Since the grower is not medicated and they are on it for at least 12 weeks before laying, I doubt there would be any effects left from the medicated chick starter.

I understand that roosters can also eat the layer feed. I have fed it to roosters with no ill effects that I could see.

Hope this helps!
smile.png
Genie

welcome-byc.gif
I use medicated Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.
Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.
Layer from first egg on.

If I use medicated Starter/Grower I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom