When to switch over to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ksmith, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    My pullets turned 16 weeks on last friday (June 18th) and it is time to stock up on feed. Should I continue to feed them chick started until they lay their first egg or what? They are large breed/dual breed chickens (Barred rocks, Orpingtons, easter eggers, austrolorps, marans, delewares, jersey giants). Thank You very much![​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can switch to layer feed when they lay their first eggs, or when they turn 18-20 weeks old.

3. orrismb

orrismb New Egg

May 7, 2010
    I'm new to this, but my feed store recommended chick started for the first month- 6 weeks, then to switch to pullet-grower until they start laying. At that point, switch to layer feed. Again, I'm new to this and I've just started the pullet grower, but they seem fine with it! ;-)

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I switch mine over once I see an egg. I also put out some oyster shell free choice.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Like everyone has said, when they start to lay. [​IMG]

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Pullet grower is an appropriate choice when they are 6 weeks and older.

At 14 weeks you could switch to what is called a "finisher" or "developer" and continue until the birds start to lay.

Most places, those finishing feeds aren't available at the feed stores for us BYC keepers. Poultry Science, Auburn University.

Steve

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    As soon as they start laying....

8. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    stupid question, but when to chicks start to lay. (average) or does it depend on breed?

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you are out, there's no sense buying another bag when you're not going to go through it all. (assuming you don't have younger chicks) I switched my first layers to layer feed at the same age, they'll be fine. Now I use flock raiser. Flock raiser can be given to any age chickens and it's higher in protein. Just make sure you offer oyster shell free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by