When to take out of brooder.

With your temperatures, at a month old, they could be living out in the coop without additional heat, but it sounds like you haven't weaned them off heat yet, so you need to do that first.

Get them off heat completely, and gradually start exposing them to cooler temperatures by taking them outside in a safe enclosure for play time, or open up some windows/stop heating the room they're in. Takes a week or two and then they should be good to go.

Also I’m planning to move them out at about 7 weeks old... praying the weather is good, I’m going to Hawaii in 7 weeks so I hope they can be moved out by then. (They’re 2.5 weeks now)

When I move the feathered youngsters outdoors, I put a plastic dog carrier in their pen that would be big enough to accommodate them times two, plus straw. They will be able to generate enough heat to warm up that confined space, and the straw will help.

I like to put them near adults so they can see eating, drinking, sheltering and roosting going on. When they start sleeping on top of the carrier instead of inside the carrier, then they have made their official transition to cockerels/ pullets, and their carrier has made its official transition from chickie-beddie to nestbox.

Not necessarily adult colors -- they'll have several juvenile molts. All feathers instead of down.

Can you put a heat lamp into the coop so that they have a warm place to go in and out of?

You don't need to heat the entire coop -- just one part.
Yes, I can put a heat lamp in the coop, I have a designated brooder space for them that I can heat.

Hello! I have one month old chicks that are outgrowing the brooder and need to be moved to the chicken house! It’s enclosed, but even with heat lamps it will be colder than they’re used to. When is it safe to move them to the coop without them catching a chill? And my lowest upcoming temps are lower fourties at night. Thank you!
My chicks are usually ready, feather-wise, at 6 weeks, not before. It's does not sound like your chicks are ready. I wouldn't risk it.
But if you are unable to provide more space, I am would suggest moving them to the coop with a brooder heater plate.

Back
Top Bottom