When to take them & mama out of nesting box?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shellyb, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    They are in a small 12 by 12 nesting box and started hatching out Saturday (those two died), then i had two healthy chicks at 5am yesterday morning, now up to 7 and getting pretty crowded but she is still on three eggs. I have a board up infront of the nest box so they don't fall out, it's pretty high but that also means mama can't get out when she wants to. The coop is empty of other chickens but was wondering if i should put them in the coop on shavings or if they need to go in a box type area first? I've had chicks before but never had a broody hatch them out. On a side note, they are sooooo friendly compared to the other chicks i've had shipped in!!! Thanks Shelly

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd be afraid to move her during the active hatch; afraid she's abandon the remaining eggs. Once all the eggs that are going to hatch have, I'd go ahead and move her, her entire nest and the chicks to a ground level box. She's going to stay on the nest pretty much full time for the first 24 - 48 hrs. or so anyhow.

The chicks will take their cues from mama. If she "says" that you are nothing to be afraid of, they will be friendly. If the hen herself isn't on the friendly side and is scared of humans, she will tell the chicks to be wary too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by