When to worm??

Umm.  There are 1000 mg in a gram, not 100.  This could present a huge dosing problem.

Thanks... I guess I should edit my post to say it differently.

Safeguard/Panacur, Paste or Liquid, both 10% medicine
Liquid has 100mg medicine/ml
Paste has 100mg medicine/gram
1cc of paste weighs one gram

So liquid or paste, you give the same amount by volume (cc/ml)

Thanks... I guess I should edit my post to say it differently.

Safeguard/Panacur, Paste or Liquid, both 10% medicine
Liquid has 100mg medicine/ml
Paste has 100mg medicine/gram
1cc of paste weighs one gram

So liquid or paste, you give the same amount by volume (cc/ml)
Okay, when I read your post, I took it as you were saying there were 100mg in 1 gram. You were refering to the packaging, which after I googled panacur to look at it, it is meaning there is 100mg of the medication (Fenbendazole) per gram. This is what you meant. So I guess we're both right.
wink.png

Looking at it further, they recommend 2.3mg per lb (for horses) so if the dosage for a 10lb chicken (if the same as a horse) would be 23mg. The tube in your pic is 25 gm so a 10lb chicken dose would be 0.00092 of the tube.

You can't really compare ml-gram, as ml is a measure of volume and a gram is a measure of mass. Medication should have a dosing schedule indicated in mg/kg or mg/lb. Using that equation would be the only accurate way to dose.

The info also did say that it should not be used in horses intended for meat. So, I personally, would be leary about using the equine panacur. I am sure that the bovine has a withdrawl period on it.

I am hoping that this makes sense as I am sick and have had a rough day. 2 of my chickens were killed this morning by a neighbor's dog. So take all of this with a grain of salt as I may not be at my best.
hide.gif

Quote: Safeguard is a very safe wormer even if birds are overdosed at twice the amount needed to be effective. Of course, I dont recommend "more is better." "More" is not needed to be effective when worming with this product. A much simpler way to dose your birds with either safeguard equine paste or the safeguard liquid goat wormer is as follows: Safeguard equine paste dosage is a "pea" size amount for standard size birds, a "small pea" size amount for smaller birds.
Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is orally undiluted; 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds.
I prefer the liquid goat wormer, easier to administer. I'm sorry you lost two birds to your neighbors dog.

Quote:
Okay, when I read your post, I took it as you were saying there were 100mg in 1 gram. You were refering to the packaging, which after I googled panacur to look at it, it is meaning there is 100mg of the medication (Fenbendazole) per gram. This is what you meant. So I guess we're both right.
wink.png

Exactly what I meant, And we were both right!

Looking at it further, they recommend 2.3mg per lb (for horses) so if the dosage for a 10lb chicken (if the same as a horse) would be 23mg.
There are two different doses for horses, 5mg/kg and 10mg/kg (double dose). I do the 5 day double dose once a year on my horses and the one day double dose on foals

Label Info:
DOSAGE: Panacur® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% is administered orally at a rate of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) for the control of large strongyles, small strongyles, and pinworms. One syringe will deworm two 1,250 lb horses. For foals and weanlings (less than 18 months of age) where ascarids are a common problem, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg); one syringe will deworm one 1,250 lb horse.
For control of encysted early third stage (hypobiotic), late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae, and fourth stage larvae of Strongylus vulgaris, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb (10 mg/kg) for 5 consecutive days; administer one syringe for each 1,250 lbs of body weight per day

The tube in your pic is 25 gm
The tube in the picture is actually the 57 gram tube, enough for one 1250 pound horse.
big_smile.png

so a 10lb chicken dose would be 0.00092 of the tube.
Remember that I dose my birds, per my avian vets recommendation at 50mg/kg, which is much higher than horses get. See pictures in post #9 for dosing info on the various species.

You can't really compare ml-gram, as ml is a measure of volume and a gram is a measure of mass.
Your correct, cc/ml are measures of volume and grams are mass.

Medication should have a dosing schedule indicated in mg/kg or mg/lb.
You are correct again and I *always* way my bird, look in my Veterinary Drug Handbook, pick the dose and calculate the dose in mg/kg.

Using that equation would be the only accurate way to dose.
Which is why I decided to find out how much on one cc/ml of paste weighs. One cc/ml of fenbendazole paste weighs one gram, that I am sure of. So if someone else want to weigh there bird and dose mg/kg using paste, they can, because 1cc/ml of paste, which weighs one gram, has 100mg of medicine in it, just like the liquid does.

The info also did say that it should not be used in horses intended for meat. So, I personally, would be leary about using the equine panacur. I am sure that the bovine has a withdrawal period on it.
Not sure why it doesn't list a withdrawal time, but fenbendazole, whether it's paste for horses or liquid for sheep/cattle/pigs, is safe to use in poultry. It is considered "off label" for use in poultry and is supposed to be done under a veterinarians supervision according to something I read.

I am hoping that this makes sense
It makes perfect sense and thanks for taking the time to post, you have given me some ideas on how to me more clear on the subject!
as I am sick and have had a rough day. 2 of my chickens were killed this morning by a neighbor's dog. So take all of this with a grain of salt as I may not be at my best.
hide.gif

Sorry you aren't feeling well and I hope you get better, soon, and I'm really sorry about your chickens, I know how hard it it to lose one.
hugs.gif

Thanks to everyone for the info... and so sorry about your girls too.
I never knew I could get so attached to chickens, but I sure have!

Back
Top Bottom