1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When using paper towels in brooder do you put the food on the

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dapper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    paper towels directly or do you put their feed in their feeder?

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    For the very young and tiny peeps, I use little tiny paper plates or plastic container lids for feed trays. It's not that big of a deal, but it makes it easier to clean up and thus keep poop out of food and food out of poop.

like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    me, I spoil'em and put a small HANDFUL and scatter it alll over the paper towel, so there are crumbs everywhere, so no matter where they squat, there is a crumb that they could peck at without getting up. I also keep a little six holer feeder filled with dry Start n Grow that I ground up in a blender to make the crumbs small, and gradually they transition from scratching and pecking on the paper towel to pecking at, perching on and pooping in their new feeder! lol.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I would keep it in the feeder.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I used the small plastic bowl (an old hummus container), and when they go tto be about a week old and I noticed a lot of scratching, I spread some over the paper towls/straw. They seemed to like the food on the floor better...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by