When will all the Broodiness stop?

California Gurl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
To think I actually bought an incubator with the sole purpose of hatching eggs, but then sold it off as soon as I was certain I have got my first broody in April of this year. Since then the babies didn't stop coming...
Is there something in the water or is it normal for this time of the year?

HA HAHA I love it. You must have a really good broody, mine all have stopped...I believe they do this twice a year spring and fall but don't quote me on that.. because I have had some do it in the winter with SNOW on the ground..

Broodies....
It's not singular it's plural. I must have around 15 that hatched eggs or is sitting on eggs(I currently have 5 that are still sitting on eggs). Of those 5: three of them are on their 2 run, one is on her first try, and my very first broody is on her 3rd time this year.
Just when I thought I was done with it more decided to join in on the fun.

Last edited:
We have one broody that has been broody most of the last few months. She hatched out some chicks about 2 weeks ago and I thought that would break her, but she only stayed off the next for a few days and then decided that she wanted to sit again so we put more eggs under her. I am ready for her to be done as well. I guess we could stop giving her eggs, but I feel sorry for her being so vigilant waiting for nothing to hatch underneath her!!

I have a broody who goes full blown velocoraptor every 4-6 weeks without fail, regardless of time of year.
For the first time in both our lives, she is happily setting a clutch from our own fertile eggs.
I am wondering if being able to live out her dream, she will be broody less, but I am kinda doubtful. She is a hard-core setting machine.
Now...to see what her Motherhood skills are like...

Back
Top Bottom