When will all the screaming stop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Jul 27, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have leghorns that are about 14-15 weeks 2 roosters and 1 hen and I also have 13 week old Easter Egger and Black Austerlorps three of each. The Roosters are trying to mount the hensand are being really rough about it. Of course they scream because the roosters are grabbing their neck feathers trying to get them to submit. In fact I was holding one of the BA today and the minute I put her back in the coop. Her feet hadn't even hit the ground one of my roosters grabed her by the neck and she screamed. When is this behavior going to end? Are the hens always going to scream and try to get away from the roosters or will they eventually give up and give in?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Oh I remember that well. Ours were 13 weeks when we put them in with the rooster. We had to tell our kids he was playing tag because he was just non stop all day. Poor guy has always lived alone, he was making up for lost time! lol

But to answer your question, when they are ready to lay it should stop. As ours approached laying age (about 20wks) we stopped hearing them at all. Now you don't even notice it unless you just happen to look out and he's going to town. The hen is just laying there, when he's done she gets up, shakes her feathers and goes on about her business. They don't fight back at all now.

Hang in there, not much longer. [​IMG]

3. Natural Chicken

Natural Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    You have two roosters and seven hens, correct? If so, that is too many roosters for the number of hens. Getting rid of one of the roosters will help. Some of "it" is a bid for dominance, but the rest of "it" is somewhat natural. On rooster can "service" ten to twelve hens, and more hens means that the rooster is kept busy spreading the "love" around and not overwhelming just a handful of ladies. My advice: trade one of the roosters for another hen, and give everyone plenty of room to run! (My chickens are free range, but I understand that not everyone has that option, so if you are not able to give them room to run, at least give the ladies places to hide.)

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My 15-week old rooster is going to a new home this weekend because we can't keep a rooster. He hasn't started mounting yet; sounds like he's leaving just in time. Yikes!

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:We are looking for a home for one of the roos now. I would eat him but my husbend and kids won't let me and I also want to wait long enough to make sure the one I want to keep isn't evil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by