When will I see an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smoon, Jul 31, 2016.

1. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I am getting sooo impatient for my first egg! I have 14 hens, different breeds so it's hard to expect them to lay at the same time. Anyways, they are 20 weeks old and I have a big black hen that I observed squatting and the rooster actually was trying to mate with her this morning. This is the first time I've seen this happen. I also observed her walking in and out of the coop this morning nervously. I have never seen her in a nesting box, though.

Any ideas on when she will lay me my first egg? I've been anxious since she was 16 weeks old! I guess a watched pot never boils :( Lol!

This is her three weeks ago.
    Comb and waddle are larger now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

many chickens start to lay at about 16 weeks old, but others start as late as 24 weeks.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    2 of my girl were making a nest in the coop 2 days ago. So I put the nest boxes in the coop and 1 layed an egg yesterday and 1 today at 4 months, but I have sex-links and like white leghorns lay sooner than most breeds. GC[​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Read through this terrific thread for all the tips on how to determine when your pullet will begin to lay. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1124080/is-she-close-to-laying

Make sure you have exposed access to the nest boxes so the pullets can investigate and become familiar with them. When you see them digging around and making a glorious mess, you can expect eggs soon.

5. smoon

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank you everyone. My chickens do have access to nesting boxes that are 2 feet off the ground. However, I have never seen them in them at all and they've had access for two months. Hopefully they will find them and figure it out!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  6. GC-Raptor

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Yea I waited too long before putting my nest boxes in the coop. But noticed a hen singing looking frantically for a place to lay so I called her to me and I put her in the nest box and closed the access door.
    A half hour later she was singing. 10 minutes later she came out and I checked the nest and found a 43 gram egg.
    Today 18 hours later I found one on the floor of the coop. I think it was from another hen that was acting strangely, 41grams.
    A happy camper here. GC[​IMG]

7. GC-Raptor

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Well it's been 4days sense my first egg from my girls. Still the same two girls laying, six eggs in four days, up to eight now.
    Anxiously waiting on the other 3, but I am a happy camper with the girls that are laying.
    Eggs are slowly getting bigger, up to 45 and 47 grams up from 43 and 42. Amazingly the lighter color egg has gained 5 grams to the darker color gained 2 grams.
    Anyway a happy camper here. GC[​IMG]

8. smoon

Apr 27, 2016
    You all were good luck! My black hen laid her first egg today!! Right in the nest box like a good chicken! It's the tiny brown one!

[​IMG]

9. smoon

Apr 27, 2016

That's awesome!

10. GC-Raptor

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Hey that's great, what a good feeling.
    Well my two girls have been laying daily, I'm up to ten, both eggs 48 grams today. Almost medium size :)
    Still waiting on the other 3. GC[​IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by