1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my Braham lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lizzieo, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Lizzieo

Lizzieo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Hartford, CT
    I have one Buff Brahma that is the lowest on the pecking order in my flock. However she is already 26 weeks and has not started to lay. When can I expect to see and egg? Will she be delayed because she is picked on? Thanks!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Being picked on could play a part in it, but some birds are just naturally slower-developing than others. Most chickens begin laying at 5-6 months of age, but some won't lay until they are nearly a year of age. As long as she seems healthy, there is no need to worry about whether she should be laying eggs (though I'm sure its annoying if you want to be eating the eggs!).

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Brahmas are extra slow to get started. I got my first egg out of one at 25 weeks and 32 out of the other. Just watch her comb and waddles. I get 5-6 eggs a week out of them even in the dead of winter so they are worth the wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by