When will my chickens get NICE???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suburban Sprouts, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flock of 9 chickens... 17 weeks old. I handled them from babies but they still run away from me! When will they be pet-like and friendly?? I've heard when they start laying they get nicer, but it would have to be a pretty dramatic change from right now...[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you tried giving them treats?

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I think it really depends on the breed, my pullets arent friendly either the only 2 chicks I had that were friendly were the roos I got rid of, I did get a lame buff orp from someone that is tame but I dont know if she would be the same if she could run like the others. I think maybe you need to continuously hold and hand feed them from hatchlings to make them real friendly, I'm going to do that with my next chick.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Try getting down on their level. If you sit on a towel with them, you are a lot less like a predator. My BYC page has what I've done with rescued chickens to tame them; you might try it. Anyway, good luck and lots of people's chickens get friendlier when they start to lay...

5. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I give them treats, I have a variety of breeds and I regularly sit down on the ground...

[​IMG]

6. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Give them treats,talk to them sofly, sit with them but don`t try to grab them. Let them come to you and if you think they are comfortabe with you try to pet them but move very slowly.Also when it is time to lock them up for the night go in the coop and tell them a bed time story. Try to pet them then but don`t force it. Sooner or later they will come around or aat least some. Just stay calm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by