When will my chickens lay again

ScratchandLace

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Texas
Hi I'm new to this site, and also to raising chickens. I recently bought 3 hens. I was told they were 13 months old, and good layers. I did see the eggs they laid the day we bought them so I took the sellers on their word. Anyways that was a month ago and I have only had one chicken that's laying an egg every 3 days, nothing from the other 2. We feed good food and put in some oyster shell i also mixed some apple cider vinegar in their water. Why aren't they laying? I know the move and new living space might have been traumatic to them but should it take so long to adjust? Also they don't sleep in the boxes we have for them they sleep in a pile on the dirt is that normal? By the way these are mixed breed red and white colored chickens, and they are currently living in a coop that i move around to new grass every other day. Any thoughts you have I would appreciate.

I purchased 6 adult hens a little over a year old through 18 months old last November. One was molting so I knew she wouldn't lay anytime soon. But it took the 2 EE's 6 weeks to lay again. The barred rocks and speckled sussex just started laying again about 2 months ago. The golden comet was the one molting and she laid after about 6 weeks. All I know is it took a long time :(

As far as sleeping, do you have roosts for them? They prefer to roost at night and the nesting boxes are only meant for egg laying.

Okay as long as it's normal for them to not be laying yet it's okay I don't mind waiting. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could help them out with. As far as roost no I don't have any I thought they would use the boxes. I can easily put some in though, I'll put them in today. Thanks.

Okay as long as it's normal for them to not be laying yet it's okay I don't mind waiting. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could help them out with. As far as roost no I don't have any I thought they would use the boxes. I can easily put some in though, I'll put them in today. Thanks.

Maybe someone a little more experienced could put in their advice for the laying. I hope they lay for you soon!

Back
Top Bottom