When will my chickens molt?

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello, I hope everyone reading this is doing well and their flocks thriving. My 6 hens were born April 2021 and I have not noticed any molting going on. Everyone is healthy and happy, but I was just curious. I guess I'm anticipating my girls to lose all their feathers. Can molts happen undetected? Thank you for your time. 🐥 💕

Hello, I hope everyone reading this is doing well and their flocks thriving. My 6 hens were born April 2021 and I have not noticed any molting going on. Everyone is healthy and happy, but I was just curious. I guess I'm anticipating my girls to lose all their feathers. Can molts happen undetected? Thank you for your time. 🐥 💕
Usually, young pullets won’t molt, *usually*. If they do, they’ll do it when they’re ready :)

Can molts happen undetected? Thank you for your time. 🐥 💕
To answer your question, yes. Some hens are "fast molters" and lose a lot of feathers rather rapidly. And then some are slower molters and you may not even notice they are molting until you look closer. Molting typically begins with the head feathers and works it's way "down" the hen.

Your chicks hatched April 2021 generally won't molt until late summer/early fall of 2022, when day length begins to shorten and the chickens prepare for winter. A few may have already molted this past fall. A few of mine did that were hatched in March 2021. It varies from hen to hen.

To answer your question, yes. Some hens are "fast molters" and lose a lot of feathers rather rapidly. And then some are slower molters and you may not even notice they are molting until you look closer. Molting typically begins with the head feathers and works it's way "down" the hen.

Your chicks hatched April 2021 generally won't molt until late summer/early fall of 2022, when day length begins to shorten and the chickens prepare for winter. A few may have already molted this past fall. A few of mine did that were hatched in March 2021. It varies from hen to hen.
I guess March hatched chicks are different?

Back
Top Bottom