When will my ducks like me?

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
My ducks and chicks are about 9-10 weeks old. the chicks have started to like me, especially one, who likes me a lot (Delaware) but the ducks seem to hate me. when im filling up the pool, they get as far away from me as possible. when i move they go toward the pool, but when i barely make one step in the direction of the pool, they turn right around again. every time i go near them, they get as far away from me as possible, and run like im coming at them with a knife. is it just because they are so young or are they never gunna like me? like i said the chicks do, but not the ducks, and they are the same age, so this is why i thought age didnt matter, but since they are different breeds, maybe ducks dont mature as soon or something? please let me know so i can stop worrying! lol
tongue.png

Delaware:
53087_red_chick.jpg

Last edited:
Just give them some time. I have so gray calls that would fly up to the top of their pen whenever I came in. Now they will walk away fomr where I am changing water but come up to see what I am doing and play in the water. Just be easy around them and they should warm up to you in time

Daily treat regiment with peas. Eventually they will come to check you out for peas every time you show. I sit on the deck and mine now start to climb onto my lap. They are still skiddish, but they are getting better at it. I even start to hold and hug them now without much of a fuzz. They are now about 6 weeks of age. It takes a lot of time, especially when other ducks are around.
Katharina

My runners went through a stage, at about three weeks to six weeks or more, when they acted as if I were an axe murderer when I came to change their bedding or do other work in their brooder. Prior to that, they were happy to "help" me and we sat together and visited when the work was done.

Apparently as they became adolescent they became much more sensitive to "intrusions" into their space. Duckyfromoz gave me a suggestion that helped - to stay as low to the ground as possible when approaching them. That helped. Then I read that runners abhor being cornered. So I let them out of their brooder and into a hallway when I worked in the brooder. That helped immensely. Then I made sure that we had treats (frozen thawed peas) at least daily.

Another Duck Forum member (cannot remember who) suggested holding some of the peas in my half-closed hand so that the ducks would need to "forage" for the peas in my hand. I did that, too.

Fast forward: the ducks are fourteen weeks (almost fifteen) old, and when I open the door of their hut to let them out into the yard, they pour out enthusiastically, then turn right around and surround me, making all kinds of happy noises. They line up for pets and attention, and at times I sit in the yard and they gather around me, some sitting on my feet. They tug at my clothes and fingers. They call for me if they see me across the yard or in the house.

Ducks are afraid of things that come at them from above, runners especially hate being cornered, and treats go a long way toward establishing a positive relationship. So does abundant patience.

I usually clean the brooder when they are sitting in the bathtub. I first take them into the tub to swim, once done I drain the water and let them sit there for 30 minutes. That gives them enough time to dry themselves off, and I can take care of the brooder.
I used to feed mine peas by hand, but have given up on it. Sunshine like to snap hard for peas and she started to do that even without a treat hoping to get some. For a while I would hold her bill when she got to rough, but it didn't seem to work. So no more hand feeding.
Katharina

My girls are really sweet - no snapping, only an occasional overly enthusiastic pinch, nothing more.

As with all critters, including us, I think it depends on the individual. I happen to have been blessed with a very sociable, gentle little flock.

One of my ducks Love Tomatoes, One Loves (thawed frozen ) Corn... One loves (thawed frozen ) peas
and the other likes them all... THey all Love Romain chopped lettuce and I pick dandelion greens out of
the yard and throw in their pool.....
wee.gif

I took y'alls advise about the peas the last couple days, and today i went to town and bought more peas! lol i have frozen bags, and some in the fridge for the next couple days. when i started the ducks wouldn't come near me. then when i used peas, one of them came over and ate. it went like [chicks take a couple peas, then duck comes over and gobbles the whole handful in 2 seconds, and whatever he knocks behind him, the other ducks came eat.] Yesterday it was more like [chicks take a few peas, then all ducks come over, and gobble the whole handful in 2 seconds.] Today it was like [chicks take a couple peas, then ducks mentally scream "PEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and attack my hand trying to get the peas.] they even came and ate regular food out of my hand today, which they havent done since they were a week old. i tried to pet them while they ate, and they didnt like that, but i'm getting closer to them liking me!

also wanted to add, my 2 magpies have a loud quack, my pekin has mor elike a 'huff' than a quack, and im not sure on my blue swedish, i haven't payed attention to weather he is quacking

Back
Top Bottom