When will my geese start to lay?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by dianneS, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have seven production Toulouse geese. I think three are males and four are females. They are almost a year old. Still no eggs? I know it's still winter and cold, days are still short, but they should start laying SOON?!?!

What can I do to encourage them to lay? Do they need nest boxes or anything? They currently free-range in my goat pasture. They also have their own private pasture where they are fed (so the goats don't eat their food!)

What should I do to encourage them to lay and what signs should I look for that might indicate they are going to be laying SOON?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They do not lay till I think about February and March, give them time.

1 person likes this.
  3. anstone87

anstone87 Just Hatched

Sep 10, 2016
    Myakka City
    My geese have started layin in literally the pass few days. I live in Florida and have buffs, Africans and Sebbies (this is their first laying season) so far only my African and one of my Sebbies have started laying.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Do they need nest boxes or an area for nesting, or will they do that on their own? I'm afraid they're going to lay in my goat's hutches!

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    It depends one the weather and the breed. For Toulouse in PA I would expect eggs in mid march. Maybe a little earlier if the weather starts worming up earlier. They will lay/nest wherever they want. You can build the nicest nesting boxes and they'll lay in a pile of leaves in the corner of the pen. Typically they want someplace quiet, covered, and dark. They will very likely choose the goat hutches if they aren't shut away from. And they will keep the goats out if they are setting.

1 person likes this.
  6. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    Got my first goose egg ever!!! Got my geese last may as goslings and been waiting for the eggs... and it has been worth the wait. These eggs are huge! So exciting! Can't wait to see if they are inseminated. Boyfriend practically gave me the go ahead to incubate! Yay!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by