When will my golden comets start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by langhornes, Apr 18, 2011.

1. langhornes

langhornes New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm SOOOO new to this. I have 2 Golden Comets. They're such nice birds. They're my first (getting two Black Austraulorps in a few weeks). They eat like queens. Great table scraps, plenty of egg laying crumble, the works. They have a lovely pen and a nice white hen house. So, why in the world aren't they laying?

I should tell you they are young 16-17 weeks old, so I know they are young. One has started doing this squatting thing with its wings partially out when I go to pick her up.

ALso, they seem to poop in their nest (and sleep there). Is that a problem? I put nice bedding down in where their perches are located, but am I doing something wrong?

Help,

Desperately seeking eggs [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They'll start laying any time now. Mine started at 17 weeks.

Good luck and enjoy those eggs.

3. langhornes

langhornes New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    thanks. I feel like they are really close, but I'm so impatient. I have to tell myself not to look 10 times a day!

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    When they go to sleep at night, go in and put them up on the roost, they get the idea after a few days. After I moved my chickens, my roo and one of the hens were sleeping in one of the nests, I went out there every night for 3-4 days and put them up on the roost. Now the only time I have poopy nests is if one of the hens have poop on their feet when they come in [​IMG] , then I have to wash the eggs.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    If I am right golden comets are also known as ISA browns and red sexlinks. Mine sold to me as ISA browns started sometime after 20 weeks.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THese sexlinks are each a bit different; and the individual girls can have their own biological clock. THey lay when they lay. Keep watching! I know I would be, too! Enjoy the first egg--it's truly special!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by