When will my hen lay eggs I can incubate?

dragonlili

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
N Middle TN
My Dutch hen and roo are about 23 weeks old. She has laid me 5 of the cutest little pullet eggs. I see that her mate is giving her some attention. I would really like to incubate their eggs. How long will it be until she lays her regular sized eggs, I'm guessing a few weeks? When do you think I should start collecting for incubation?

Hatch rates are not usually very good with pullet eggs and it is suggested not to try to incubate them. The chicks may develope but the eggs are so small there is no room for them to grow as needed. The eggs need to be from more mature hens laying a more standard size egg to get good results. Sometimes it is not the pullet but the cockeral that needs more time to mature. You would need some time to study the fertility of your eggs also. After a couple weeks of mating crack a few open and see if they are fertile.

my polish laid thier frist eggs and i put them in the bator right away so i could check and see .. and yeap babies on the way .. so i wouldnt see a problem with it . i think its more of a in the eyes of the holder then anything . i also have been doing it with my slikie just not haveing and fertiel yet .. think the roos still to young .. but it dont hurt to try ..

In my last week's hatch I had stuck a nice dark marans pullet egg in with the others although I knew they said it's not a good idea. It was the first one to hatch and popped right out. I wish I'd have stuck some of her others in!!

Back
Top Bottom