When will my Muscovy father and son start fighting?

Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
So unfortunately I ended up with 2 girls and 4 boys in my brood of ducklings.
I have decided to keep one of the males and get rid of the other 3 and my drake (their father). Trouble is that I have listed them on Craigslist and have continued to lower the price down to practically nothing and still no interest in my listing. I think there is a glut right now. One lady in my area has had a free drake up with no takers for at least the past week.
I'm getting desperate to get these guys gone. I'm dealing with some health issues that has made caring for a larger flock difficult and I don't have what it takes to be able to butcher them when the time comes.
As a last resort I do have an acquaintance that has muscovies on his farm and maybe he would take them for me.
So here's my dilemma. If I can't sell them and have to ask my acquaintance if they will take them chances are they are not going to want my drake as they probably have a drake or two of their own. And if they can't butcher right away, I can't see them wanting to bring him onto their farm. So I would need to sell him separately.
If I keep the male duckling that I want and try to sell my drake. What kind of a time frame am I looking at before the daddy or the son starts picking fights.
The duckling is 6 weeks old today. And so far the ducklings have been mostly separated from the rest of the flock.
For those of you who've raised young drakes up with their father what have you noticed? If it's going to be impractical to keep them together for long I will have to let this duckling go also as I may not be able to get my drake sold in a timely manner. 20210905_132315.jpg

It definitely starts once the hormones kick in. Mine are a yr old and they have been tussling for maybe the last 6 months? I can't be exact on the timeline. The brothers fight all of the time. It's not a huge deal except their feathers are broken from all of the wrestling they do. They attempt to fight dad, but he always runs away or jumps to higher ground to get away. Once in awhile, you will see them just chilling in close proximity. But, I feel the "dad" is worn out by all of the running and keeping his distance. It's kind of funny because he never wants to fight for dominance. I'm not sure if they will outgrow it. I have been trying to get rid of my younger ones for months now and no takers. :(
There is no blood shed, just wing fighting and wrestling. But, if there was blood shed, I'd reconsider making them into dinner.

It definitely starts once the hormones kick in. Mine are a yr old and they have been tussling for maybe the last 6 months? I can't be exact on the timeline. The brothers fight all of the time. It's not a huge deal except their feathers are broken from all of the wrestling they do. They attempt to fight dad, but he always runs away or jumps to higher ground to get away. Once in awhile, you will see them just chilling in close proximity. But, I feel the "dad" is worn out by all of the running and keeping his distance. It's kind of funny because he never wants to fight for dominance. I'm not sure if they will outgrow it. I have been trying to get rid of my younger ones for months now and no takers. :(
There is no blood shed, just wing fighting and wrestling. But, if there was blood shed, I'd reconsider making them into dinner.
I hear ya. My drake lost his entire tail and damaged many flight feathers fighting with his brother before his brother was rehomed. I had to pin him down and pluck all the broken tail feathers out so he could start growing a new tail. I'm so eager for him to molt because right now he looks awful. He's looked awful since early spring. I guess I really want to avoid going through this again. ~~ I want a pretty drake LOL 😆
So you think they likely won't fight until the younger drake reaches maturity? That would be great.

Back
Top Bottom