When will my October hatched pullets molt?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I was going through this whole year assuming my pullets would molt this fall, but then remembered that most sources say that chickens have their first big molt 16-18 months of age. My pullets were hatched in October, so this fall they’ll be around 12 months old.
So I’m wondering… will they molt late summer or fall, like my hen, or will they molt around 16 months?… which would be the middle of winter, for where we live.

Normally I wouldn’t be so concerned, but the poultry exhibitions are in December and a few months after, so I’m hoping they’ll molt before then so they can have their new feathers for the show.

I was going through this whole year assuming my pullets would molt this fall, but then remembered that most sources say that chickens have their first big molt 16-18 months of age. My pullets were hatched in October, so this fall they’ll be around 12 months old.
So I’m wondering… will they molt late summer or fall, like my hen, or will they molt around 16 months?… which would be the middle of winter, for where we live.

Normally I wouldn’t be so concerned, but the poultry exhibitions are in December and a few months after, so I’m hoping they’ll molt before then so they can have their new feathers for the show.
It could go either way.. or they might even wait until the following fall.. There are NO guarantees and the birds haven't read our books about what they "should" do!

Yes, my first molting bird also was the middle of winter.. January when it was around 20 degrees F over night. I was stressed for her.

Molt can be influenced by lighting and nutrition.. also breed and genetics.. I wish I could give you a more clear answer than "it's complex"..

My later hatched birds have molted the following year despite being only 12 ish months.. making me feel cheated. Some birds have gone onto year 3 without molting. Some early hatched birds have mini-molted (including going off lay) at 9 months old!

Feeding a higher protein ration (than layer), has heavily influenced how hard my birds molt (usually dual purpose breeds).. Since switching full time to 20% protein (flock raiser with oyster shell on the side free choice).. my birds have much softer less intense molts.. effecting their demeanor and everything during that time. Of course many show folks already know how much nutrition effects feather quality etc and are already feeding rations with higher amino acid and other nutrient content. Some folks also plan their hatches around the show schedule to make sure their birds are in show condition at the right time.

Again, sorry I can't give you an exact answer.. but hopefully you still got some good food for thought! :fl

It could go either way.. or they might even wait until the following fall.. There are NO guarantees and the birds haven't read our books about what they "should" do!

Yes, my first molting bird also was the middle of winter.. January when it was around 20 degrees F over night. I was stressed for her.

Molt can be influenced by lighting and nutrition.. also breed and genetics.. I wish I could give you a more clear answer than "it's complex"..

My later hatched birds have molted the following year despite being only 12 ish months.. making me feel cheated. Some birds have gone onto year 3 without molting. Some early hatched birds have mini-molted (including going off lay) at 9 months old!

Feeding a higher protein ration (than layer), has heavily influenced how hard my birds molt (usually dual purpose breeds).. Since switching full time to 20% protein (flock raiser with oyster shell on the side free choice).. my birds have much softer less intense molts.. effecting their demeanor and everything during that time. Of course many show folks already know how much nutrition effects feather quality etc and are already feeding rations with higher amino acid and other nutrient content. Some folks also plan their hatches around the show schedule to make sure their birds are in show condition at the right time.

Again, sorry I can't give you an exact answer.. but hopefully you still got some good food for thought! :fl
Thanks! That was very helpful!
It’s a little stressful knowing there’s not much I can do about their moulting before the show but it’s only a junior competition so it’s not a very big deal. I guess I’ll make sure not to supplement their lighting this fall and it will be how it will be before the shows and I’ll try my best to make them look good :)
(Just a note: my birds eat purina flock raiser with oyster shell and grit on the side so I guess that means if they do molt it will be lighter, because I’m pretty sure Purina’s flock raiser is 24% protein??)

Back
Top Bottom