When will my rhode island reds start laying?

I also had eggs at around 20 weeks from my three RIR's. I finally have 12 girls laying for the first time today! It has been 26 weeks from the time they were purchased at 1 week old. You will see them soon enough and I know you will be pleased!

caf.gif
pop.gif

I see from the messages on this thread that it varies. My RIR is 28 weeks & doesn't even have a comb/wattles yet, while others have posted theirs lay as early as 20 weeks! So I guess the easy answer is... anytime between now and next June??? LOL!

I know the feeling. My mom baught her RIR and Golden comets same day I got my 3 RIR and 2 GC and her birds have been laying now for weeks where only one of my RIR is just now starting to lay along with a Wyndotte that I picked up (shes almost 2 now) about a month and a half ago and has been laying now for 2 weeks. I walk out there and I have 12 hens and only 1 lays daily and the other lays here and there so I know the feeling. Meen while my moms are almost all laying and she has 9 birds total. It is frustrating.

My RIR is 24 weeks old, and no sign of laying yet. One of my Leghorns only just started laying at 27 weeks; she gave me two eggs in three days, then nothing for the past week. Patience is the key.

I brought some oyster shells and I give them layers pellets. When I change their straw they rush in and stay there for a hour. Some of them sit down. I think that they are about to lay but then they get up and rush out.

Back
Top Bottom