When will my rhode island reds start laying?

LOL Some of the new girls can lay such small and oddly shaped eggs. We have one who we nicknamed "Torpedo girl" who has the longest, pointiest eggs.

Our girls started layed laying at 24 weeks, and at first it was 1, 5, 7 for a few days, 10, 12, 18, than a big jump to 24. Now it's 38, which means we have a few younger pullets (24 weeks) have now kicked in. Eventually it will be up to 68. lol

That a lot of eggs ! What is the going rate for a home raised dozen?

My two RIRs started around 6mo 2weeks. One of them was laying softies twice a week then bam 1 med 1 large 5-7 a week. My black star was first 5mo 3wk and my astrolorp at 6mo. Welsummers were 7 months and my speckled Sussex was the longest at a week before 8months and she lays bantam sized eggs even though she is a standard. Hope this helps.

I'm reading this thread with the hopes of answering the same question for my hens. But I'm curious to those who have egg layers and know which bird they came from. How is it that you know which bird gave you your first egg? Do you happen to witness it? I'm so curious and eagerly awaiting my first ever eggs. I have 2 dark rir, 2 golden laced wynadottes, and 1 golden comet.

I would buy the oyster shell. I waited and waited and I put out the oyster shell and got an egg the next day. Probably coincidence. But it should be pretty cheap.

I'm new to this it's well, what do u mean by and oyster shell, and the " egg song"? I've only just started with chickens a few months ago my RIR and EE's are almost 17 weeks!

I think it may be misleading to say that RIR will start laying at 18 weeks. I have two RIRs and they are now 24 weeks and still no eggs from them. I heard they could take up to 36 weeks?!! My Golden Comet laid first at 19 weeks, and then 2 weeks later, one of my Golden Laced Wynadottes. My second GLW is still not laying. Strange.

I have 5 rhode island reds, out of those 5, 2 started laying at 16 weeks, one started laying just yesterday at 20 weeks, and the other 2 have not started laying yet. It varies! I do remember my neighbor commenting on how my RIR pullets were feathering out and developing so much faster than his pullets of about the same age. It turns out I had been feeding them turkey starter by accident for their first 6 weeks instead of chicken starter. I truly believe the extra protein content made a difference.

My RIR's are 24 weeks and I finally had one lay an egg yesterday. My RIR roo is the same age and he is finally getting after the girls and I just heard him crowing for the first time today. I am sure they will all be laying soon. I still have two black sex links and 2 buff orpingtons I am wating on to lay as well. If you are looking for indications I noticed a couple of days before my RIR layed that someone was messing around in the laying box. I have 4 older hens that still lay and keep it orderly but the RIR must have been checking it out and messing it up before laying.

I'm new to this it's well, what do u mean by and oyster shell, and the " egg song"? I've only just started with chickens a few months ago my RIR and EE's are almost 17 weeks!

You can get oyster shell at the farm store. Good source of needed calcium for the hens and their eggs. I mix it in their food. Every egg song is different. It is when a hen starts making lot's of noise because she is about to lay. I have 4 older hens that are laying. One sounds like she is crying when she is going to lay, the others give the traditional bagock sound loudly and excessively. It's good when you hear it to go see who it is making the noise, it's a good way to know who is laying, until you know all are laying. I did just have a young RIR lay for the first time yesterday and I got no egg song I just caught her laying on the nest. One note, the eggs will be small at first and get larger as time goes on. You may even get an egg or two without a shell during the time they start laying. It's normal. Chickens are entertaining to say the least. My RIR that laid it's first egg yesterday was 24 weeks. All chickens are different and yours could be sooner or later. After your chickens start laying you can refeed them the egg shells for calcium. Just rinse them real well and crush them up real good and mix it in their food. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom