When will my rhode island reds start laying?

I am new to chickens. I purchased 3 Rhode Island Red pullets from a 4-H Chick Chain auction. The county agent told me they were purchased as chicks on May 13. I do not know how they were raised or fed b/c I came into the sale late and had no time to inspect the cages of the poultry available nor talk to the youth that raised them, if he/she were available. The RIR pullets are now approx. 28 weeks old. I live in Middle TN and decided not to supplement light through the winter. I'm just letting nature do what it does until all my girls get old enough to lay along with the RIRs. So, I told myself to wait out the winter and I should get plenty of eggs in spring! Anyway, in looking at my RIR girls, I am pretty sure they are not ready, based on the size and color of their combs. However, one of them has gone from pink and small to larger and more red, and the other two have grown and reddened a bit. A local organic farmer told me, maybe January for eggs, and I hope this is the case. When I purchased them, I gave layer pellets, then switched to half chick starter for higher protein and I provide fine-crushed egg shells. One of the girls really sings to me now, and the other two will cluck about more than they used to, when they see or hear me, knowing they are going to get attention. My question is....according to pictures here, my 28 week girls are behind standard growth, based on comparison of color and size of comb. Do you think this is because of what or how much they were fed their first 20 weeks before I got them?

I have 2 RIR and they were hatched at the end of May. They have been laying for a few weeks now and I expected it to taper off since we had the time change and it is getting colder here in Northern OHIO. I have no supplemental lighting and they are still cranking out an egg a day sometimes every other day. So don't be surprised if you see eggs before January

While Tilly was having a nice dust bath, I discovered she had laid her first egg! (No, she is not a barred rock, she is a very dusty Rhode Island red!) For about 3 weeks now, she has been singing "The Egg Song" and I told her, "If you can sing like that, you can lay an egg!" I thought it was a nice first egg, lovely shape and hard shell! She is almost 33 weeks old. Her two "sisters" are the same age, but, they are not so developed in the comb and waffles, but, another is getting red and coming along nicely!

While Tilly was having a nice dust bath, I discovered she had laid her first egg! (No, she is not a barred rock, she is a very dusty Rhode Island red!) For about 3 weeks now, she has been singing "The Egg Song" and I told her, "If you can sing like that, you can lay an egg!" I thought it was a nice first egg, lovely shape and hard shell! She is almost 33 weeks old. Her two "sisters" are the same age, but, they are not so developed in the comb and waffles, but, another is getting red and coming along nicely!

A second egg was found this afternoon, so, I guess Tilly laid her first egg on Christmas Day. Or, someone else is laying...though no one has vocalized as loudly, one is doing a little singing. (The one mentioned above). Anyway, this is very exciting! Two eggs!

Update: January 7, 2016: Tilly has laid her first dozen! I feel certain the other two RIRs are not laying yet, even though they share the same hatch date, supposedly.

Last edited:
I have two reds who are 11 mo old and consistently lay.
Question: Do your reds mind if other hens are laying in the coop while they are in there? Mine prefer to be alone but if the others want to lay in any of our 4 nesting boxes in the coop, they don't say anything.
I also have 2 EE and they have a fit if any other hen tries to come into the coop while they are laying. What can I do about that?
Thank you!

I have two reds who are 11 mo old and consistently lay. Question: Do your reds mind if other hens are laying in the coop while they are in there? Mine prefer to be alone but if the others want to lay in any of our 4 nesting boxes in the coop, they don't say anything. I also have 2 EE and they have a fit if any other hen tries to come into the coop while they are laying. What can I do about that? Thank you!
I think I would let them work it out amongest themselves. I have 4 nest buckets for 6 hens and two are often jockeying for position in one of them or the other. 6 eggs get laid (usually two or three in one bucket), so, they figure it out.

Feeding alot of treats can cut back on egg production.  Only feed a good layer, after they are grown. Feed ,water, and 16 hrs of light, sure way to have them laying within about 2 weeks.
I was told to give my RIR fruit & veggies along with layer and grit!! Is this not a good thing??

Back
Top Bottom