When will my rhode island reds start laying?

I live on the coast and at Tractor Supply Oyster shell is 6.95. I couldn't see paying that when they are laying around everywhere. I got a back and went and picked some up and crushed them with a hammer, after washing them of course. I also brought back a good supply for my shed. I won't be running out any time soon. :)

From what I understand, Oyster Shell helps with their digestion in the gizzard, as chickens has no teeth. The oyster shell grinds up foods through their gizzard. Also helps make the egg shells stronger. Correct me if I am wrong. Good luck.

From what I understand, Oyster Shell helps with their digestion in the gizzard, as chickens has no teeth. The oyster shell grinds up foods through their gizzard. Also helps make the egg shells stronger. Correct me if I am wrong. Good luck.

Oyster she'll is calcium, grit is used for the gizzard I do believe.

This could be but they should be on laying pellets to help them with egg production. Once u see them squat then u know within couple days or weeks they will start laying.
You shouldn't put them on layer pellets or mash until they actually start laying. The difference between layer and regular feed is layer had more calcium, that's about it. It doesn't magically make a pullet lay. layer feed only provides the extra calcium needed for strong thick shelled eggs. Too much calcium in a chick or pullets diet before laying will damage their little kidneys. Early death, short life. Once a bird starts laying they may or may not need extra calcium depending on diet, if foraging they may not need any special laying feed to make the shells super strong. Once they start laying, and you give them layer feed, it only takes about a week or less for the shells to get super strong. You waited all this time for them to start laying, you can wait a week for super thick strong shelled eggs. I don't know about you, but I'm not in that big a hurry, if it means a healthier bird.:old:hugs

I'm thinking some layer pellets and crumble contain oyster shells in them. Possibly purina brand?
If it says "layer" on the bag, it is lower protein than chick feed or starter, and It Has Extra Calcium. I (or the co-op guy) accidentally killed about 50 birds @12 weeks old by feeding them laying mash/crumbles. Within two months they were dropping dead left and right, Kidney failure according to the Vet. And I had failed to double check the label on the bags of feed. Only after talking to the vet and him saying it was calcium poisoning did I go turn the empty bags over to find out it wasn't starter crumbles. It was heart breaking to know I had poisoned the little rascals. :hit

I have 5 rhode island red chickens that are 22 weeks old and 21 weeks old. When will they start laying. Does it matter if I don't give them oyster shells. To help them lay in the nesting box I put one of my eggs from the fridge in. Is that ok. I am new to keeping chickens and don't know these things. Thanks to anyoe who helps.

Back
Top Bottom