When will my rooster begin to crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cupman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a 9 week old barred rock rooster, he's awesome. I am looking forward to him crowing but I was wondering when I can expect him to start. I googled around but it's such a broad range, every link is different.. from 4-16 weeks old. When did your roosters start crowing? What breed is your rooster?

2. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I have herd of some start as early as 3 weeks. I have 9 straight run, and I herd a couple crow. There ten weeks old. I think the first one was at 8 weeks

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a couple EE roos now, at 8 weeks...all my BR roos started about the same time

4. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Our Speckled Sussex is 7 weeks and crowed yesterday for the first time. It was sort of a sore throat sounding crow, but still a crow. [​IMG]

5. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Mine was 3 months when he was crowing! It was a sick crow. No cockle doodle doo. It was a Baaaaaaaaaaa! But now that he's done it alot it's a cockle doodle dooo! He is a RIR

6. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    My EE/Ameraucana roo will be 17 weeks in 2 days. He still has not crowed. And yes, I am absolutely certain he is a roo!

7. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    My Silky "hen", Harriet, crowed at 14 weeks and had her name change to "Harry"!

Now he feels the need to 'announce' everything, especially if people arrive in the driveway, etc. We call him our 'watchdog'. He loves to hear himself crow.

deb g

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He will crow when he feels like it. I have had some wait until 13-16 weeks to crow. My welsummer rooster started crowing at 4 DAYS old. I had an Ameraucana chick that crowed the day after he hatched. My current 13 week old barnevelder males have yet to crow. It's an individual thing.

9. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My rooster started crowing when he was a few weeks old.

10. newbiechickenfan

newbiechickenfan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I just saw this post. My Petey boy started a funny croak/crow when he was 8 weeks old. Now at 13 weeks he can almost cock a doodle do, but he still sounds hoarse. Very cute and sweet right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by