When will my rooster begin to crow?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I have a 9 week old barred rock rooster, he's awesome. I am looking forward to him crowing but I was wondering when I can expect him to start. I googled around but it's such a broad range, every link is different.. from 4-16 weeks old. When did your roosters start crowing? What breed is your rooster?

I have herd of some start as early as 3 weeks. I have 9 straight run, and I herd a couple crow. There ten weeks old. I think the first one was at 8 weeks

Our Speckled Sussex is 7 weeks and crowed yesterday for the first time. It was sort of a sore throat sounding crow, but still a crow.
lol.png

Mine was 3 months when he was crowing! It was a sick crow. No cockle doodle doo. It was a Baaaaaaaaaaa! But now that he's done it alot it's a cockle doodle dooo! He is a RIR

My Silky "hen", Harriet, crowed at 14 weeks and had her name change to "Harry"!

Now he feels the need to 'announce' everything, especially if people arrive in the driveway, etc. We call him our 'watchdog'. He loves to hear himself crow.

deb g

He will crow when he feels like it. I have had some wait until 13-16 weeks to crow. My welsummer rooster started crowing at 4 DAYS old. I had an Ameraucana chick that crowed the day after he hatched. My current 13 week old barnevelder males have yet to crow. It's an individual thing.

I just saw this post. My Petey boy started a funny croak/crow when he was 8 weeks old. Now at 13 weeks he can almost cock a doodle do, but he still sounds hoarse. Very cute and sweet right now.

Back
Top Bottom