When will rooster crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strader, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    does a rooster only crow in early morning? Break of Daylight, or does he crow anytime of the day?
    I have a 22 week old polish crested and was wondering how often my neighbors ae going to hear him before they get up in the AM? Got him on craigslist for sale in Yakima, WA

2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    My BO Roo is approx 6 months old and he crows not only in the morning but during the day also..he crows to gather his ladies and he crows to the other ladies next door...he starts crowing in the morning when we let him out of his coop..on the weekends we let him out a little later in the morning...he crows while in the coop but it is not loud enough to bother anybody..once we let him out he crows! When I holler to him to come to the coop..he crows to answer me! So to answer your question...my Russell Crow will crow at any given time of the day! He started when he was about 16-17 weeks old!

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They crow whenever they feel like it. Dawn, midday, dusk, when they're mad, when they're scared, when they're confident, when you're outside trying to have a conversation, when a hawk flies overhead, when a butterfly comes by, when someone drives up, when you go out to check the mail. . . pretty much whenever they want.

Some roos are quieter than others, but there's not really anything you can do about a constant crower other than to get rid of him by whatever method you choose.

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I have a Frizzled Serama who just started crowing....and does it all day! He's still in the brooder and only about 5-6 weeks old!!!! [​IMG]

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I've heard my boys crow all day and I've also heard them at 2, 3 and 4am crowing. The good news is you soon don't even notice it. My son sleeps in the house on the side closest too the coops and they don't bother him at all.

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Roosters crow ALL DAY LONG. They do it when they want to mate. They do it when they want food. They do it when they want outside. They do it whenever they want to just hear themselves make noise.

7. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    well thanks everybody for the great replies. I gave him to a freind cause I live in the city, May borrow him to make eggs for incubator. Didnt want the neihbors unhappy. thougth i could just keep him inside overnight in my basement, but appears he will crow at any time....LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by