When will she lay a normal egg?

meekasmom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I have a 2 year old hen that is molting and while she was in molt, she did not lay. It seems that she is about done molting now and she has laid a a couple of eggs with no shells. Can I expect her to start laying normally again or has something gone wrong? She gets layer feed and oyster shell and free ranges. Last year she laid an egg everyday without fail.

Give her time. I think she will turn around within a week. One of my girls laid rubbery shell-less eggs a few days last week. This week all seems normal.

Is she a production breed? They tend to "wear out" sooner than heritage breeds.

I have a 3 yr old production red that rarely lays anymore. She laid almost every day from 6 mo to last summer. I don't expect too much from her now.

Is she a production breed? They tend to "wear out" sooner than heritage breeds.

I have a 3 yr old production red that rarely lays anymore. She laid almost every day from 6 mo to last summer. I don't expect too much from her now.

Hello! This thread is from almost a decade ago, I would be surprised to hear that the chicken in question was even still alive any more.

Many people have been accidentally replying to VERY old threads lately because the new "similar threads" feature does NOT filter posts by date. It might be worth checking the most recent post date in a thread before replying. :)

Hello! This thread is from almost a decade ago, I would be surprised to hear that the chicken in question was even still alive any more.

Many people have been accidentally replying to VERY old threads lately because the new "similar threads" feature does NOT filter posts by date. It might be worth checking the most recent post date in a thread before replying. :)
Haha. I forgot about the new "similar posts"
It got me! 😳

Back
Top Bottom