When will the eggs come?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenmore, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I have 4 white leghorns 3 black sexlinks 2 golden sexlinks and 4 arucannas all about 15 to 16 weeks old when will they start laying? and will the 4 differant breeds start at the same time? or who will start first? please help [​IMG]

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Id say the leghorns first, second goldens, then the black, then araucanas. Have nest box ready will happen when your not lookin![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Mine laid about a week after the combs and wattles turned brite red. The first egg was on the ground. I found it sweeping up. After that they are all in the nest box.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You are very close. Look for bright red combs, wattles and squatting (assuming the position). Golden should be any day, as well as the leghorns, with BSLs not too awful far behind.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The short answer is "When you least expect it." Hang in there and be surprised.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    One of my RIRs was the first to lay at about 19wks. The week before she was walking around the egg boxes every day,not sitting in them just walking on the edge checking things out so that gave me an indication she was getting ready. Every day I would check,no egg finally i gave up checking frequently then you know what happened, There it is an egg,then the rest followed suit inside of 2 wks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by