When will the eggs stop ??

Ruth Ann

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
South Carolina
When will the eggs stop coming in the winter?
Is it just the less daylight...or does cold have something to do with it also?
How long does it last? We are new to the chicken stuff...so no idea how the winter will
affect them.
We have buff Orps...
Wyandottes... Amber Links
They are all from early this spring.(about 24 weeks old average) Started laying
3 weeks ago if that matters.

We live in a mild winter climate in South Carolina ...will be a couple months
before we even get a frost.

What is the general opinion about useing artifical light to keep
a hen laying...for at leat part of the winter?

The eggs probably won't stop in the winter; just slow down some. Yes, it's due to the reduction in daylight hours. You can use artificial lighting to keep them producing more, but truthfully winter is a nice break for their bodies, especially the higher producing breeds you have, like your red-sex links. Also, with a mild winter, you probably won't see a very dramatic reduction in eggs, especially if they are just now 24 weeks.

Good luck!

After a 3-month hiatus, my hens STARTED laying last winter when it was -20˚F.
I think it is more the light, but that doesn't really explain what happened here.

Thanks for the imput
smile.png

Can't wait till it cools here. From Mid September through May is our laying season.

And come June, July and August, we gather frequently so that our eggs aren't cooked before we bring them in. Serious!

I lived in Florida for many years and never added light. My hens slowed down a bit in January, but they always laid. There was never a period when nobody was laying. I had RIRs there. Here in Alabama it's been the same way. They slow down in January and February but there is never a time when I don't have eggs. I don't add light here, either. This flock is about 4 years old.

HTH

Rusty

I live in Minnesota and never added anything but a heat lamp when we were at our coldest, and it was red. So, I don't think you guys in Florida need worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom