When will the eggs stop ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ruth Ann, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    When will the eggs stop coming in the winter?
    Is it just the less daylight...or does cold have something to do with it also?
    How long does it last? We are new to the chicken stuff...so no idea how the winter will
    affect them.
    We have buff Orps...
    Wyandottes... Amber Links
    They are all from early this spring.(about 24 weeks old average) Started laying
    3 weeks ago if that matters.

We live in a mild winter climate in South Carolina ...will be a couple months
    before we even get a frost.

What is the general opinion about useing artifical light to keep
    a hen laying...for at leat part of the winter?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The eggs probably won't stop in the winter; just slow down some. Yes, it's due to the reduction in daylight hours. You can use artificial lighting to keep them producing more, but truthfully winter is a nice break for their bodies, especially the higher producing breeds you have, like your red-sex links. Also, with a mild winter, you probably won't see a very dramatic reduction in eggs, especially if they are just now 24 weeks.

Good luck!

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    After a 3-month hiatus, my hens STARTED laying last winter when it was -20˚F.
    I think it is more the light, but that doesn't really explain what happened here.

4. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the imput [​IMG]

5. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    another winter note COLLECT EGGS FREQUENTLY IN THE COLD!!!! Eggs can and will freeze rendering them useless

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't wait till it cools here. From Mid September through May is our laying season.

And come June, July and August, we gather frequently so that our eggs aren't cooked before we bring them in. Serious!

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:How many hour of sunlight do you get in winter? Do you add artificial light? Just wondering because I'm in Florida.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I lived in Florida for many years and never added light. My hens slowed down a bit in January, but they always laid. There was never a period when nobody was laying. I had RIRs there. Here in Alabama it's been the same way. They slow down in January and February but there is never a time when I don't have eggs. I don't add light here, either. This flock is about 4 years old.

HTH

Rusty

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I live in Minnesota and never added anything but a heat lamp when we were at our coldest, and it was red. So, I don't think you guys in Florida need worry about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by