1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will these 3 lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Nov 26, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I have three pullets.A buff,Black star,GLW.The star and GLW are around 5 months old and only one squats for me while the other submitted to the rooster after a squawking fit.While the Orph is close to 6 months old squats for me but I have yet to see the rooster take an interest with her.They all seem to be taking some interest in the nest boxes I would think they won't start to lay till spring because of the weather but maybe not?
    Black star:Gussy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Her chubby body
    -
    GLW-Chirp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -
    Buff Orphington:Bailey
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The first one maybe but the others don't look sexually mature. (Pale and small comb/wattles)
    It's not the weather but the length of available daylight. Most start much later this time of year. 5 months isn't that old.

They do start trying out the nest boxes a week or two before they start to lay.

Since none are laying, make sure you are still giving them a grower or finisher feed rather than layer. Excess calcium can harm kidneys for non layers including the rooster.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Ok thank you:) the little buff always is the first to come when the rooster makes a nest and always the first to come and hop in when the new hay is put in.The two others just kinda stare at the but are starting to hop into them.
    I was wondering though because the Buff came with a Barred rock who was the same age and has been laying for a little over 6 weeks to month.Her comb and wattle size is the same to my other buff who has been laying for maybe a month and a half but is much redder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by