When will they be ready?

IRL

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Hi
My 3 barred rock chicks are 7.5 weeks old now. They are fully feathered but still very small compared to my year old buff orpingtons.
When will I be able to integrate the chicks with the chickens? Do I have to wait until they are nearly the same size?
Thanks

Depends......where are they now? Are they in the coop where the others can see them daily? If so, you can integrate sooner. I've integrated in this way by 8 weeks, but I was sure to give hiding places for the little ones. But if they are completely separate right now, then you'll need to wait until they are about the same size, which is roughly 13 weeks.

I keep the younger chicks in a wire dog kennel. Ages 4-9 weeks. The older ones are 11 weeks and in the coop. I just put the dog kennel in the coop a few days ago. I wish I would of done this sooner. The older ones hate the newcomers and peck at them, especially when I turn my back.

Not sure your barred rocks will ever be the same size as your buff orpingtons. I have one of each and my BO is fast out pacing the rest of the flock despite being younger.

GL

Back
Top Bottom