When will they crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ohiostatfan, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I am a freak...LOL I can't wait for my little roos to start crowing! About how old are they typically when they start to crow?

~Bridget

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've read of different ages for the rooster's first crow; anywhere from 2 weeks to 16 weeks. I think my one roo was about 9 - 10 weeks old when he first crowed. My other roo still hasn't crowed and they're 12 weeks old today. I, like you, adore my rooster's crow.

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Too early... hehehe [​IMG] It depends on the breed and the particular roo but the average seems to be about 5 months (about the time you start getting eggs.)

Jess

4. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Mine are about 9 weeks now...LOL must be late bloomers [​IMG]

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have experienced roos crowing much much younger than I originally thought. The thing is you must be close to them and watch very carefully. Sometimes it is a little trill or a whistle. I have also experienced 2 of my hens crow, one as a young baby (1 month), so I do believe it happens more frequently than one thinks. It is just sometimes hard to catch but if you do hear the littlest of little crows it is o so adorable.

The earliest was the Seramas who started croowing at 2 weeks. In the morning 5 boys,,,, trill trilll whir whir wwizz [​IMG]

6. Foghorn Rock

Foghorn Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    my white leghorns started at 8 weeks.sounds kinda funny,like a teenager with a changing voice.I wonder if it matters how many roos there are.I have 9 together.

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I posted a video of my 6 week old cockerel crowing - and a few people said they've had them start crowing at 4 DAYS old! Most said theirs didn't crow until 5 months old or so.

I agree with tiki244 that you need to watch them carefully if you want to catch the first crow. My 6 week old that crowed had been "practicing" for about a week and a half. He would stretch his neck and mouth the cocka-doodle-do, but not a sound would come out. So we watched him all the time and finally he mouthed it one morning, and immediately followed it with a bona-fide crow - such as it was [​IMG] He definitely needs to work on it. It's rather crackly and scratchy and he can only get out the cocka-doodle part of it. But it IS loud! I have another cockerel the same age (different breed) and he hasn't even shown the slightest sign of trying a crow yet.

Keep watching them - if you're like me (and sounds like you are) there is nothing like that first crow!!!

Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by