When will they get used to me???

SilkieBaby

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Bakersville, NC
I am loving the new chicks....all 24 of them. But they are so scared of me that they run all around the brooder when I go to pick them up and starting chirping like I am the bid bad wolf or something. How long will this last? I want them to eat out of my hand and be loving towards me. How long does it take?

sad.png
Amy

That's perfectly normal! Just think of it this way. If you were trapped in a box with no place to run to and a giant kept sticking their hands in that box or just kept sticking their head down close to get a good look at you, wouldn't you freak out?!?!

Now with that in mind, walk up slowly on them and instead of sticking your hand down into the middle to pick a chick up, start in the corner and slowly slide it down into the box. It's much less of a surprise/panic factor that way!

Hang in there and keep spending lots of time with them. The more time you spend with them, the quicker they will get used to you.
wink.png

I am far from an expert, we've only had our chicks 5 days but already they'll come and hop up in my hand pretty quickly. They still startle easily at first and run to the corners, but I put some feed in my hand and lay it in there with them. Within a minute or less they'll come and cuddle with me.
smile.png

Some will be friendly after a few days, some are skittish till they are several weeks old. The key is treats. Once they get to the point that they will eat treats, you can tame them fairly quickly. They forget fear to fill their crops.

Matt

Time a Patience Try not to hover over them. (When your trying to win them over) That's what a predator will do. Get down to there level....

Also, when they get older you will win them over if and when you start giving them treats. Could be a green bean, pea or whatever you deem appropriate.

Last edited:
i love all 5 of my chicks, but they are all so scared of me. when will they get used to me? is there a special way to pick them up so they wont be so darn scared? from birdboy
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom