When will they get used to me???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieBaby, Apr 18, 2009.

1. SilkieBaby

SilkieBaby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Bakersville, NC
    I am loving the new chicks....all 24 of them. But they are so scared of me that they run all around the brooder when I go to pick them up and starting chirping like I am the bid bad wolf or something. How long will this last? I want them to eat out of my hand and be loving towards me. How long does it take?

[​IMG] Amy

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's perfectly normal! Just think of it this way. If you were trapped in a box with no place to run to and a giant kept sticking their hands in that box or just kept sticking their head down close to get a good look at you, wouldn't you freak out?!?!

Now with that in mind, walk up slowly on them and instead of sticking your hand down into the middle to pick a chick up, start in the corner and slowly slide it down into the box. It's much less of a surprise/panic factor that way!

Hang in there and keep spending lots of time with them. The more time you spend with them, the quicker they will get used to you. [​IMG]

3. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I am far from an expert, we've only had our chicks 5 days but already they'll come and hop up in my hand pretty quickly. They still startle easily at first and run to the corners, but I put some feed in my hand and lay it in there with them. Within a minute or less they'll come and cuddle with me. [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Some will be friendly after a few days, some are skittish till they are several weeks old. The key is treats. Once they get to the point that they will eat treats, you can tame them fairly quickly. They forget fear to fill their crops.

Matt

5. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    It also helps if that GIANT hand has snacks in it. You know, break bread together. [​IMG]

6. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Time a Patience Try not to hover over them. (When your trying to win them over) That's what a predator will do. Get down to there level....

Also, when they get older you will win them over if and when you start giving them treats. Could be a green bean, pea or whatever you deem appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Looks like everyone has the same idea [​IMG]

8. birdboy

birdboy New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    i love all 5 of my chicks, but they are all so scared of me. when will they get used to me? is there a special way to pick them up so they wont be so darn scared? from birdboy [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I taught them to love me with a palmful of crushed Cheerios. They were fighting for a spot on the beloved hand.

10. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey I am having the same trouble.... Thanks for the info!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by