When will they go into the run?!

AnnieAlbright

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Monmouth County, NJ
We finally have our 9 week old girls in their new coop after weeks of trying to get it installed, a hurricane, a medical problem, blah blah blah. It's been a couple days and they love the coop, but will not go into the run. I put food on the ramp to coax them down, but don't want to leave food in the run yet because we need to put up hardware cloth to protect from critters. We also have lots of bugs and ants I don't want to attract them to the coop. You can see in the picture the wires will not keep them out. Maybe leave the food in the run during the day and moving it back inside at night? My plan this week is to hang the food in the run so it's not sitting on the grass, and also install a pvc waterer w/nipples in the run as well. Am I worrying about nothing? Chickens are so weird, but I love them!

I want to mention that Larry, the coop builder, and his family are so wonderful to work with. He does this in his spare time and delivers all over. He's located in Conneticut and drove the coop down to us in NJ, set it up, and built the run on site. Him and his lovely wife were busting their butts at 9pm to finish it. He's not cheap, but the coop is fully insulated and the roosting bars and nest boxes are all removable so it can be used as a brooder as well. Neither the DH or I are that handy with woodworking, so building it ourselves was not an option
tongue.png

When I first moved my BOs into the coop and tried to convince them to go down into the run they looked at me like I was insane. Three days later they were still looking at me like I was nuts so I grabbed a couple and physically moved them. After standing there for a bit with a "Now what are we supposed to do?" look on their faces, they finally started exploring. Within 30 minutes the whole flock was out in the run. Took me another week to convince them to go back INTO the coop at night on their own. Give them a bit, they'll figure it out. If not, find the one or two "leaders" and move them into the run.

Thanks! I moved 2 into the run today and after a couple minutes of shock one started exploring. I added some scrambled eggs to the ramp and a couple came out to snack, but went back to the coop. Baby steps.
smile.png
Your advice was much appreciated:frow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom