When will they lay

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
I’m not exactly sure where to post this. But my chickens are five 1/2 months old now and still not laying. I have many different breeds, but I have 14, 5 1/2 month pullets and none of them are laying. Even my sapphire gem is not laying. They have larger combs and wattles and they are redder but they have been like that for about 2 weeks. They always squat down as if I’m a rooster because they are mature. I feed them layer crumbles And I give them crushed eggshells.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Most of the ones I can see in the photos don't look quite there yet (grey in back of 1st photo looks fairly red, maybe the barred one too). Layer generally has lower protein than starter or grower (plus the calcium) so it can slow down their growth a bit, so IMO best to hold off on layer until they're actually laying. Since you're in FL the heat can also be an issue right now.

Your hens may be laying, but they are eating the eggs or hiding them.
Boy, that's a leap!
And they are pullets not hens....and only close to laying age.
FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Most of the ones I can see in the photos don't look quite there yet (grey in back of 1st photo looks fairly red, maybe the barred one too). Layer generally has lower protein than starter or grower (plus the calcium) so it can slow down their growth a bit, so IMO best to hold off on layer until they're actually laying. Since you're in FL the heat can also be an issue right now.
Ditto Dat!!!

You'll have to be patient @JadeFarms it won't be too long.
Here's some tips about how to tell......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Soon! From your photos, it looks like those pullets still have a bit more growing to do. However, if you have others whose combs are big and red and they are squatting, it's a good bet they will be laying sooner rather than later. The link @aart posted is a good resource.

I am also in Florida with 5 pullets just under 5 months. My production red started laying a few days ago and my buff orpington looks like she could start laying any day now, but my others (barred rock, golden comet and a blue rock) are still at least a few weeks out from laying. They are all on their own schedules.

The grey one in the back is a cockerel, and I will do that

Back
Top Bottom