When will they learn to love their new coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by santabarbarachickenmommy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. santabarbarachickenmommy

santabarbarachickenmommy New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm a first timer to this board. I have four chickens, they are about eight weeks old and have lots of feathers. They get lots of scraps to eat, anything from lasagna, to lobster, lots of fruit and corn on the cob, bread, and so forth. They have been used to sleeping in my bathroom, since it was being remodeled. Now, I got a borrowed coop and set it up yesterday with lots of hay. They did NOT like being shut up in there, as they were accustomed to sleeping in the extra bathroom. Tonight, when it came time to roost, they wanted to go in the house. My question is, how long before they accept and love their new coop instead of wanting to come in the house at night? I feel bad that they are there, I put in half a watermelon, two hamburger buns and a head of lettuce (besides crumbs and water) to console them, but they seem ticked! (I really just want an eglu, if anyone is selling one in the Santa Barbara area or is willing to ship, please let me know!) I'm looking forward to joining this community and learning about my girls, they've been lots of fun and my children love them. We can't wait until their first eggs! Thanks in advance!

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I'm new at this, but I'm thinking a week? Just keep at it, they'll get used to it.

3. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    IT took my girls about 3-4 days...maybe longer. Mine were the same, they'd run up to the run fence every time I came near the coop, and would try to sleep in the run! I had to put them in the coop every night to show them, and the first 2 nights were heartbreaking! But after a few days they were very happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by