When will they start laying (see pic...)

warriorbrian1

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Western, PA
Here is a picture of 2 of my hens...Any idea how old they are? And if they look like they are close to laying? I'm new and have had them for 4 weeks. I was told they were almost 20 weeks when I bought them but I don't know....

1592840654887.png

If they are some sort of commercial layer (which they look to be), I would guess they were younger than 20 weeks when you bought them. Have they ever 'crouched' down when you are near them? Watch for reddening in the comb, and growing of the comb and wattles.

Here is a picture of 2 of my hens...Any idea how old they are? And if they look like they are close to laying? I'm new and have had them for 4 weeks. I was told they were almost 20 weeks when I bought them but I don't know....

View attachment 2206720
Yours don’t look like they’re combs and waddles have turned red yet, so it is probably a while away. Usually they start to lay within a month of their combs swelling and turning red.

So it's been 4 more weeks and still no eggs! I've had them for 8 weeks now and thought they were 20-weeks when I got them (I now realize they were not 20 weeks when I got them).

Here is an updated picture. Does anyone have thoughts on how old they might be and when to expect eggs? Any other tips for me? I'm feeding them Country Roads Layer Pellets.

1595529214243.png

The first picture looks like my hens at about 10-11 weeks old and your last picture looks like mine now at about 18 weeks. Depending on breed you could have another month or more before they start laying.

So it's been 4 more weeks and still no eggs! I've had them for 8 weeks now and thought they were 20-weeks when I got them (I now realize they were not 20 weeks when I got them).

Here is an updated picture. Does anyone have thoughts on how old they might be and when to expect eggs? Any other tips for me? I'm feeding them Country Roads Layer Pellets.

View attachment 2258745
I have Golden Comets and ISA Browns that look like the same breed as yours with similar size combs and waddles. They are 17 1/2 weeks old and I have a couple that are just starting to lay. I wouldn't think it would be long now actually.

Back
Top Bottom