When will they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boy and chick mama, Sep 9, 2009.

1. boy and chick mama

boy and chick mama New Egg

Jul 5, 2009
    Our girls (3 Americuanas and 1 Buff Cochen) are 21 weeks old and haven't layed nary an egg yet. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do (besides talk to them) to encourage the egg-laying behavior?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Different breeds start at different ages. Anywhere from 18-26 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. lbug

lbug Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Danville, California
    I have a 22 week old Ameraucana that doesn't even have a red comb. She is not laying any eggs yet. My Rhode Island Red 22 weeks also, has been laying eggs since saturday everyday.
    We just got to give them time..... [​IMG]

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

If you have patience the eggs will come!! I promise!!

All the birds are on their own timeclock... they dont look at the calendar to say "OHHHH I'm 21 weeks old today, I think I will lay an egg."

They will do it when Mother Nature says they are ready.

Waiting is the HARDEST part of being a chicken person I think . Waiting for eggs, waiting for hatches, waiting for the postman to bring you eggs/chicks, waiting for lazy birds to actually lay lol

It wil be ok [​IMG] they will lay and you will be in Egg Heaven!

5. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Talk of freezer camp. My Polish waited 10 months---then I showed them the freezer. They are 'fair producers now.

6. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Go buy abunch of eggs from the store. I did this,within a couple hours I had an egg.

7. SassyT

SassyT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    My leghorns are going on 27 weeks and nothing. We are contributing to the heat and trying to be patient. [​IMG]

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My true Ameraucanas are 27weeks old and not one egg from them. Their comb is still very pink/pale...the rooster doesn't show them any attention and they stay away from him...

My EE are 23 weeks old and not egg from them, either...their combs are hardly noticable... they look very young and stay to themselves..

9. charleneap1

charleneap1 New Egg

Sep 7, 2009
    Washington
    Hi All, I heard that over feeding your pullets will prolong the onset of egg laying. . . .any validity to this? and how much is too much when they act as though they have not eaten in a week each time we go to feed them (twice a day all the feeders will hold). Mine are only eleven weeks right now but the Cornish Cross have been doing "the squat" for more than a week already, they are huge!, actually twice the size of the Orp's of the same age.

10. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Quote:I was feeding blue seal and switched back to Dumor and they are not acting like that any more. I keep threating them to stop feeding them if they do not feed me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by