When would be a good time....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    to introduce my chicks to the pine shavings? I currently have them on paper towels covering up the shavings below. They are now about five days old. I put them on shavings a little while today, but they would dig through it and pick through the smaller shavings. Is this what they should do, or is this a sign that they'd eat the shavings all day long? I want to keep the number of chicken backsides I have to wash at a minimum! (wishful thinking, I know [​IMG])

Thanks!

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    At five days they should be fine. They know what their food looks like and where to get it, right? They will scratch through and occasionally eat a few shavings, but most they will spit out. That's what chickens like to do....

3. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've always had mine on pine shavings. Not had a problem here.

Last year's chicks and this year's....

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    I've never purchased shavings, but I am collecting some from my wood planer. Do these have to be large curls or some consistent size? Does anyone see any consistency from hatcheries or breeds that confuse their bedding as food? I think I will be getting some next week from a local feed store that buys from Ideal (it's down the street from us in Houston)

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They should be fine on shavings now. They are going to pick things up in their beak to test it for edibility. They spit most of it out, no worries.

6. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Mine have been on pine shavings from day one. Good luck to ya!

7. peony07

peony07 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Ferndale WA
    Mine have been on shavings since day one too. No pasty butts and they scratch all day. They are in a wood brooder and they love to scratch and peck at the knots in the wood (almost obsessively!) But no problems.

8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies! [​IMG] My chicks are now on the shavings and seem to be having quite the party.

Do these have to be large curls or some consistent size?

The shavings I have seem to vary in size, so, I'd say not. Bigger is probably better, but don't take my word for it, I've still just barely made it 'out of the brooder', after all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by