When you don't pray...

I do not believe the OP to be asking a rude or out-of-line question. Please be courteous and offer feedback if you have something useful to say. If not, MOVE ON.

I read the question a few times, and the only interpretation I personally got is, "hey, I don't pray, but want to show support when people are down and asking for prayers...what is appropriate to say?", so that is the interpretation I'll answer. Many people choose supportive stand-bys like "keeping you in my thoughts" or "hoping for the best". Some avoid more standard sayings altogether, and simply express their sympathies/empathy/thoughts in more personal sentences. Hope that helps.

As a second generation atheist (with mixed up beliefs of my own) I typically 1) do not respond or 2) say that whom ever asked for prayers will be in my thoughts or something along those lines. I've never been questioned regarding my response or pressed to literally pray for someone. I think most people asking for prayers are happy with the kind of emotional support you are able to give them.

Quote:
I have alot of non-believer send me positive vibes, good thoughts.

A side note; I don't care for the term "non-believer" (speaking for myself that is) because the definition of a non believer is: "...a person who lacks belief or faith, as in God, a religion, an idea, or an undertaking. ..." and the listed synonyms for 'non-believer' is "...doubter, skeptic, questioner, cynic. ...", none of which applies to me. Some people tend to think if we aren't judeo-christian we must be non believers, when in fact I do have my own personal beliefs and religious views. It's hard to describe, but according to my beliefs, I don't think others who believe in God are wrong (which would be to NOT BELIEVE them), I think we actually could all be right in our own individual beliefs. Basically, I am a believer, just in different things, if that makes sense. I am Buddhist, so I am very much a believer... in Buddhism. Just don't worship the God that others do. Not that anyone asked me, ha ha, I just thought I would share that perspective.

But to answer your question PK, I typically respond that I will be meditating for them (which for me, is putting my thoughts and positive energy out into the universe as opposed to asking God for anything) or I simply say I will be sending good thoughts their way, or that I am thinking of them. When it comes down to it, I think (hope) that people are comforted either way, whether we are praying or just sending out good energy. Both, I believe, are very powerful.

I stand corrected
tongue.png

Quote:
But you said "It's a horrible thing to blame someone for someone else's misfortune..." etc. I'm not sure where you are getting that. She didn't say she was blaming anyone. She's just not religious and isn't sure of the polite response when someone requests prayers. I think it's just an innocent etiquette question.

I do actually believe I misread it, and I apologize for that.

I thought it read it as -

saying someone asks for prayers, you don't pray for that person and the result is the person dies rather than recovers...what do you say.

There is nothing in the question that caused that misread - I just totally misread. I'm a little tired today, but not ill or really exhausted, I was in a little bit of a rush and did not re-read....and I made a really stupid mistake. Apologies, no but no excuses.

My own feeling on the subject, though, minus the misread, is much the same - that no matter what people say or what they believe or how they express themselves, good wishes of any type are appreciated and do help.

Last edited:
Quote:
A side note; I don't care for the term "non-believer" (speaking for myself that is) because the definition of a non believer is: "...a person who lacks belief or faith, as in God, a religion, an idea, or an undertaking. ..." and the listed synonyms for 'non-believer' is "...doubter, skeptic, questioner, cynic. ...", none of which applies to me. Some people tend to think if we aren't judeo-christian we must be non believers, when in fact I do have my own personal beliefs and religious views. It's hard to describe, but according to my beliefs, I don't think others who believe in God are wrong (which would be to NOT BELIEVE them), I think we actually could all be right in our own individual beliefs. Basically, I am a believer, just in different things, if that makes sense. I am Buddhist, so I am very much a believer... in Buddhism. Just don't worship the God that others do. Not that anyone asked me, ha ha, I just thought I would share that perspective.

But to answer your question PK, I typically respond that I will be meditating for them (which for me, is putting my thoughts and positive energy out into the universe as opposed to asking God for anything) or I simply say I will be sending good thoughts their way, or that I am thinking of them. When it comes down to it, I think (hope) that people are comforted either way, whether we are praying or just sending out good energy. Both, I believe, are very powerful.

I stand corrected
tongue.png

I was just referring to me, Deb. I'm sure lots of people consider themselves non believers. I was just blabbing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sit in silence and think loving and positive thoughts for that person. Prayer is different for all of us, as is faith.

Nice to see you PK.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I stand corrected
tongue.png

I was just referring to me, Deb. I'm sure lots of people consider themselves non believers. I was just blabbing.

I'm thinking that if you see it that way, there may be others that do too. It never even crossed my mind before.

Back
Top Bottom