When you let them out of the coop for the day, do you close it off?

I don't. I leave the coop/run open so they can go in there to lay, eat & drink!! Just make sure that you have something to keep the door from closing on them!! I use a spring from an old trampoline to hook it from the wire on the door to the wire on the side!!

Quote:
You lock them up at night for protection from all kinds of preditors, even if you live in the suberbs you would be suprised at how many things really want to eat your chickens.

You really only need to close them up at night if predators can get into your run. If your run is totally enclosed you don't really have to.

If I understand your question, there is no reason to close the coop to the chickens during the day when they are in the run. They need to be able to return to the coop to lay eggs, eat, etc.

That is a really nice design for a coop, have fun this weekend.

Thanks everyone. I have pretty much all the predators that love chickens....Raccoons, Coyotes, Hawks. I am planning on creating as close to "Fort Knox" as possible. Even considering running electric fencing around the outside. I'm a little concerned about something getting in the coop but I think I am more concerned at this point with what to do if I get a coyote in the stinking run and it can't get out. Hmmmmm

A huge percentage of chicken owners THINK their run is predatorproof.

Only a tiny percentage of them are right.

Go browse the "Predators and Pests" section of this forum if you don't believe me. See how many people post threads along the llines of "something ate all my chickens last night, I though my run was totally safe but it wasn't, I'm posting this as a warning to others".

Just because you have left the popdoor open for <however long> and nothing has happened yet doesn't mean it is a predatorproof run. The operative word there is YET. You do not know which will be the day that something decides to TRY to get in.

So that is why most people lock them in the coop at night. To be relatively assured of having them still be there in the morning
tongue.png

When you let them out, you do not normally shut the popdoor. First, because you WANT them to be able to wander back in to use the nestboxes (much better than playing 'easter egg hunt' all over the yard every day
tongue.png
), and second because they may NEED to get back in, for shade, to get away from another chicken harassing them, for any drink/feed you may have in the coop, or to get away from a hawk or other predator.

The only time people usually shut them OUT of the coop is if you are doing cleaning or painting or such in there, and don't want them mucking around. Or if it is their first time in the great outdoors and they keep running back in and you want them to just get some experience being out there darnit so they'll get used to it
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Closing the chicken door at night can help keep drafts down as well, if you live in a windy area, and perhaps a little warmer for the birds if it's cold out.

I let them come and go during the day from a roofed run to the coop. At night, I seal the pop door because we are in a predator-rich environment. Although we have done a lot to deter predators and we have not had any losses, it's something on my mind at all times.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom