When you trap a predator...how do you dispose?

put the coon in the back of your truck, or borrow a truck, drive out to BFE and let it go.

That's illegal in most states.

If you're not going to kill it , don't trap it​

Releasing is a quick way to spread diseases, when you release you are disrupting the carrying capacity, (The carrying capacity of a biological species in an environment is the maximum population size of the species that the environment can sustain indefinitely, given the food, habitat, water and other necessities available in the environment. In population biology, carrying capacity is defined as the environment's maximal load) so when you take an animal from its environment (your chicken coop) and release it to another, you are dooming the raccoon anyway, Its a stranger to the area and will get in territorial fights, get wounded and possibly spread diseases. Bear foot is right, if you're not going to kill it, don't trap it..... Sad but true.

It can be very difficult to kill something. I understand.
When you have an animal in a cage and do not have a gun, you can take it to a pond and submerge it in the water. Attach a rope to the cage so you can retrieve it. If the cage is small enough to fit into a large trash barrel, you can fill the barrel with water and use that to drown it.
If it disturbs you to watch, walk away and come back later.

Quote:
Contact the feed stores around you. Quite often, they know of people who would love to harvest the fur (and may even pay you X dollars per raccoon you trap).

However, you really need to buy a shotgun. Where there are raccoons, there are coyotes and other larger predators.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't feed raccoons to the chickens or any other animal because of the risk of parasites(raccoon round worm). Maybe gutting/cooking the raccoon is sufficient to prevent risk? I don't know personally.

For the same reason, be very cautious around raccoon feces and make sure to bury raccoons deep if they are killed/disposed of. I don't know how susceptible chickens are to the parasites but it can be fatal in humans(rare and uncommon that humans catch it).

Back
Top Bottom