When your chickens get old and die...

Here we use the hatchet and stump method, because DH is willing to wield the hatchet. I think if I had to do it myself, I'd use the cone method. Somehow, I can't wrap my brain around the broomstick method. Not saying it's wrong for others to use it, I just can't make it work in my brain.

I just went on line to find out what the life expectancy of a chicken is and found the thread of "when your chickens get old and die." Today I
I found one of my hens dead in her coop for no apparent reason. There was no visible trauma to her little body and was in full rigor. She was only two years old. I live in Central California on the coast and it has been cold, but not that cold. Their coop is like the Hilton, with timed heat lamps and mini lights. They eat very well and I consistently get six eggs a day from my eight ladies. Today with the death I only got three eggs. Grieving and depressed I assume. I hope the rest live long and happy lives. It broke my heart. Lil Miss. McQuiddy is now in chicken heaven.

I just went on line to find out what the life expectancy of a chicken is and found the thread of "when your chickens get old and die." Today I
I found one of my hens dead in her coop for no apparent reason. There was no visible trauma to her little body and was in full rigor. She was only two years old. I live in Central California on the coast and it has been cold, but not that cold. Their coop is like the Hilton, with timed heat lamps and mini lights. They eat very well and I consistently get six eggs a day from my eight ladies. Today with the death I only got three eggs. Grieving and depressed I assume. I hope the rest live long and happy lives. It broke my heart. Lil Miss. McQuiddy is now in chicken heaven.

Sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss....this happened to me one time. I was horrified that one a chicken died, two i never noticed a thing, third i had to tell my grandchildren! In the end i knew she hadnt suffered, the night before she was active and friendly as i closed their coop for the night and i dont believe she suffered. I still have no answer and never lost one since then and i hope the same for you!

Here we use the hatchet and stump method, because DH is willing to wield the hatchet. I think if I had to do it myself, I'd use the cone method. Somehow, I can't wrap my brain around the broomstick method. Not saying it's wrong for others to use it, I just can't make it work in my brain.

I can't even make it work at all....tried it once and had trouble balancing my bod on the broomstick while simultaneously pulling up on a chicken's legs, which made me pull too hard and the head just popped off. Seemed like an awful lot of messing around when I could have popped that head off with my hands much quicker.
roll.png

Unfortunately, sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. I don't know of the others are "grieving and depressed" so much as maybe reacting to the change in pecking order. They don't do change well. One other thought - in CA, you really don't need a heat lamp on them.

Aaaaaaahh!! Im sorry im just way to faint of heart to do any of these method's. Of course they are neseccary but i kring just thinking about it...i catch crickets in the house and set therm free....yes im that crazy one!

I just went on line to find out what the life expectancy of a chicken is and found the thread of "when your chickens get old and die."  Today I 
I found one of my hens dead in her coop for no apparent reason. There was no visible trauma to her little body and was in full rigor. She was only two years old. I live in Central California on the coast and it has been cold, but not that cold. Their coop is like the Hilton, with timed heat lamps and mini lights. They eat very well and I consistently get six eggs a day from my eight ladies. Today with the death I only got three eggs. Grieving and depressed I assume.  I hope the rest live long and happy lives.  It broke my heart. Lil Miss. McQuiddy is now in chicken heaven. 

I am sorry you lost her. I too have experienced this early passing shock. Like bobby-j said sometimes they go for no obvious reason.

I too, have had them die for no reason, or from predators, and few with age.

Several posts up, had a life expectancy of 8-9 years. I have had chickens for years, and never come close to 8 years for any bird. I think a much more realistic AVERAGE would be 3-4 years. The averaging taken in to account that some birds will live longer, and some will live less. I just think posting 8-9 years gives unrealistic standards.

Maybe it is the climate that you live in to get those long lived girls, but mine have never gotten close to those ages.

Mrs K

Quote: And, Bee, the broomstick is the ONLY way I've found that works for me! Of course the fact that our knives are duller than dirt doesn't make the cone method a workable solution for me. Hubby is working on his knife sharpening skills. But, until that day, the broomstick is for me. No balancing involved. simply place the bird, put broomstick over with left foot on it, right foot over stick with heel on ground. Simultaneously, lower right forefoot and pull up on feet. Done. Yeah, if you pull too hard, the head is severed, but... that's pretty much what happens with a hatchet, or a very deep cone cut, yes??? Same outcome!

Back
Top Bottom