When?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eldiablo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. eldiablo

eldiablo Out Of The Brooder

Around what age do roosters start crowing? when do they become sexually active?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've noticed it at about 6 months, but I've heard it can depend on the breed. For instance, Silkies mature a lot slower than other breeds, so if you have a Silkie, it could very well be longer than 6 months.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our Single Comb Brown Leghorn cockerel didn't start crowing until he was 4 months old. Here is he caught in the act at 5 months.

[​IMG]

Our Golden Campine cockerel started crowing at 7 weeks of age. The flock was just moved from their brooder in our 13 x 15 mud room into the barn. The hen house is 20 x 20. I think he was happy to have all the extra space. Here is part of the flock on moving day last August. The Golden Campine in at the bottom right of the group eating cottage cheese & garlic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Whats in the pool? Is it another feed station?

5. livestock101

livestock101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2007
    Most of the roosters we've owned in the past started crowing around 6 months with the exception of standard cochins. They didnt start until 9 months.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:The pool was the brooder area in our house. When the flock moved to the barn, we decided to keep it as their dust bath area.

Our flock forages are 2 acres and they still RUN INSIDE to dust bathe! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by