when

rayado

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
moultrie ga
my chicken is going to be 23 weeks old this friday and still no eggs. she is a production red and she hasnt layed yet i give her cracked corn and let her free range.should i change what she eats oor is it that shes not old enough

Do you offer layer feed or just corn? Mine are just at point of lay as well and I'm still learning. Just wondering if the feed makes a difference for actually laying, or if it just improves egg quality. Hmmm.. Interested for replies.

If she is free-ranging much of the day, she may be laying her eggs in the grass somewhere and hiding them. Also, nutrition plays a very important role in egg production. It's possible for a hen to survive without commercial feed, but I would expect that they rate of laying would be lower. So, my two suggestions are 1) confine her to the coop/run area for a week or two. 2) start her on a layer feed.

Also, am I understanding correctly that you just have the 1 chicken? Chickens are naturally flock animals, but I don't know if having one as a solitary bird would affect laying or not... Maybe someone else can chime in?

A just corn diet slows the maturation down. I don't know the conditions where you are, but if its been hot and dry the, land she is ranging on may not have enough to give them a balanced diet. If your buying corn, a mixed feed isn't to much more than just corn.

Back
Top Bottom